Chapter nums & appendices in PDF (bookmarks) -printed output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Bambina_Mena
Propeller Head

Chapter nums & appendices in PDF (bookmarks) -printed output

Post by Bambina_Mena »

A co-worker created a stylesheet for our dept. I'm having issues with it when generating my PDF target - the four appendices are all appearing in the PDF bookmarks as "Appendix A" -- not incrementing (no 'B' or 'C' or 'D'). She has no idea as to how to fix it so I thought I'd ask the wonderful forum people.

- The Auto-number properties for her h1.appendix style name is showing as Chapter {chapnum}
- Within Project Organization -- TOC -- right-click on a regular chapter and she has these settings: Break Type: Chapter Break, Page Layout: default, Page Type: Left, Chapter File Name: default, Auto-end on 'left' page: Disabled AND Page Number uses this radio button option: Increment number. THIS seems to be working for the standard chapters (chapter 1 through 8) but is not working for the 4 appendices.

Does anyone know how to correct this? Thanking you in advance.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Chapter nums & appendices in PDF (bookmarks) -printed output

Post by Nita Beck »

This is easily achieved. You need to set a few more properties beyond those you've already set.

For the TOC item associated with Appendix A, open the TOC properties and switch to the Auto-numbers tab. Under Chapter Number, set "Reset to" to 1 and set the "Format" as ALPHA (A, B, C).

For the TOC items associated with the remaining appendixes, on Auto-numbers, make sure that "Increment number" is selected. I don't think you need to explicitly set "Format" as Flare will just continue on using the setting from Appendix A.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Bambina_Mena
Propeller Head

Post by Bambina_Mena »

Unfortunately, Nita's solution did not work. The first appendix ('A') does appear as Appendix A. However, all appendices after 'A' also appear as Appendix A.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Let's see if you can set things straight for you...

Please detail for us how the TOC properties for Appendix A and Appendix B are set, specifically on the Printed Output and Auto-numbers tabs. I'm fairly confident that the problem lurks there.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Just to check...

If you open your TOC and open the properties for Appendix B (right click Appendix B in the TOC and select properties), and open the Auto-numbers tab, Is chapter set to Increment number?

You will also need to make sure there is a chapter break set on the Printed Output tab of the dialog box.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Bambina_Mena
Propeller Head

Post by Bambina_Mena »

THanks to you both! Here is more information.

FOR APPENDIX A (TOC PROPERTIES) --
Printed Output TAB ...Chapter/Page Layout Break area:
- Chapter Break
- Page layout = default
- Page type = left
- Chapter File Name = default
- Auto-end of left page = disabled
Page Number area:
- Increment
Auto-numbers TAB ...Chapter Break area:
- Reset to 1 (Format- ALPHA)

FOR APPENDIX B (TOC PROPERTIES)
Everything is the same EXCEPT Auto-numbers TAB is set to Increment Number

I can't figure this out! Could something be bad within the appendix style (stylesheet)?
Bambina_Mena
Propeller Head

Post by Bambina_Mena »

Also, something is wrong with the board. Even though I have it set to do so, I am not getting emails when someone replies to my request (hence my delay in checking the board). I noticed the board was down a couple of days ago and I thought they were fixing this lack of email notification issue.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

What happens if you explicitly set the Page Layout field, instead of using default?

And do you really want the appendixes to begin on a left page, rather than a right page or a first page? (Perhaps you do if you're outputting for a right-to-left language.)

In answer to your question about the stylesheet, I think the problem is most likely in the TOC properties. That said, why don't you post the CSS for the appendix heading so we can see what's what.

(p.s. I can't offer anything about forum notifications.... I have no idea.)
Nita
Bambina_Mena
Propeller Head

Post by Bambina_Mena »

The person who created the style sheet gave me the instructions for the Page Layout field (to use the default). I will do what you suggest and try something else.
She also asked me to make that "left" setting.
Regarding posting of the appendix heading within the style sheet ... here it is... Once again, thanks for your help!
-------
Here is what is in the "Printed" stylesheet:
h1.appendix
{
mc-auto-number-format: 'Appendix {A+} ';
}

Here is what is in the standard stylesheet (although, I believe this has no bearing here -- the build is looking at the "Printed" stylesheet):

h1.appendix
{
mc-auto-number-format: 'Appendix {chapnum} ';
}
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I suggest you use the {chapnum} for the Appendix heading, too, rather than the {A+} auto-number. I use {chapnum} for my appendixes and it works just fine.
Nita
Bambina_Mena
Propeller Head

Post by Bambina_Mena »

Nita, that worked! ("I suggest you use the {chapnum} for the Appendix heading, too, rather than the {A+} auto-number. I use {chapnum} for my appendixes and it works just fine.") It was good to see 'B' and 'C', etc.!!!! I will have her change it in the master template (along with the other tweaks).