Reusable glossary

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
sdcinvan
Propellus Maximus

Reusable glossary

Post by sdcinvan »

Happy Friday all,

So, now that I have completed a bunch of documents (about 400 pages in total, done in Flare), it is time to mature these documents with some additional features (focusing on PDF output for the moment).

Now, I wish to add a glossary.

What I want to make is a reusable glossary. What I mean by this is that I wish to create a master glossary which includes all the terms used throughout all my documentation. When I apply the glossary to a document, Flare should only list the terms used in the current document and match them with page number(s).

---
It doesn't make sense to include all the glossary terms in documents that the terms have no relevance nor does it make sense to have to painstakingly manage dozens of glossaries for different documents.
---

When employing a glossary, I do not want the words highlighted in the text because I find that quite distracting. If there are going to be links to the glossary, they should be invisible. On the glossary side, a nice to have, would include having page number references that link back to each (or first) incidence of the word.

Can Flare do this? Thus far, I haven't found any details on how to accomplish this?

What have I discovered
I hope I am wrong but it seems that glossary terms must be manually hand-picked from the documentation. Seriously? This is so bad that I am certain that I simply don't know enough about this.

Observations
The glossary proxy I have added shows only the term and definition. There are no page number references!

Is any of what I am asking possible in Flare?

Thank you,
Shawn
Shawn in Vancouver, Canada
Main tools used: Flare 11.x, InDesign, Google Docs, Lectora, Captivate.
Report bugs: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs.aspx ▪ Feature requests: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx[/i]
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Reusable glossary

Post by NorthEast »

sdcinvan wrote:I hope I am wrong but it seems that glossary terms must be manually hand-picked from the documentation. Seriously? This is so bad that I am certain that I simply don't know enough about this.
If you don't know enough, try reading the help; Flare can convert marked (hand-picked) terms, the first term in a topic, or all terms.
http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... argets.htm
sdcinvan wrote:When employing a glossary, I do not want the words highlighted in the text because I find that quite distracting. If there are going to be links to the glossary, they should be invisible.
You can style glossary links however you want; although bear in mind if there's no visual indicator, the reader may not notice a link exists.
sdcinvan wrote:The glossary proxy I have added shows only the term and definition. There are no page number references!
I don't think that's possible in Flare; that's more like an index entry than a glossary term.

For help/PDF outputs the reader could use the search to find where a term is used; but if you expect them to produce hard-copy printouts, them maybe include the glossary term definitions as footnotes, to save them looking up terms in the the glossary.

If you want links to the glossary entries, you could add them to your index by using a auto-index. You could add each term from your glossary as a phrase in the auto-index, and Flare will automatically include index entries with a reference to each place that phrase (term) is used.