The One True Way to construct ordered lists in Flare?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

The One True Way to construct ordered lists in Flare?

Post by Phlawm53 »

I've been using Flare 6's GUI tools to create procedures as ordered lists interspersed with descriptions of what happens in response to each step.

However, the only way I have found to get the construction to work is to create a series of paragraphs, then selectively make a repeating series of the following form (where [ol][li] indicates the CSS elements as displayed in the Flare show blocks tool at the left side of the editing window):
[ol] [li] 1. This is the first numbered step in a procedure. It's an ol with a single li.

[p.indented] This un-numbered paragraph describes what happens in response to step 1. A paragraph style class indents the un-numbered paragraph as required.

[ol] [li] 2. This is the second numbered step in a procedure; another ol with a single li. I use Flare's list actions GUI tool to continue the numbering.

[p.indented] This un-numbered paragraph describes what happens in response to step 2. The paragraph style class indents the unumbered paragraph as required.

[p.indented] Additional un-numbered paragraphs use the same indented style class.

[ol] [li] 3. This is the third numbered step in a procedure; another ol with a single li. I again use Flare's list actions GUI tool to continue the numbering.

…and so on…
Is this construction correct? Or have I misapprehended how to construct numbered lists that also contain un-numbered paragraphs?

I ask because if I create an ordered list (or even an unordered, bulleted one), I cannot use the Make Paragraph Items option to insert an un-numbered paragraph into the ol/ul parent element. If I try to do that, Flare 6 creates a [li] [p] construction that still carries a number or bullet.

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: The One True Way to construct ordered lists in Flare?

Post by LTinker68 »

How exactly are you using the Make Paragraph Items option? I can get a list with paragraphs that looks like the following (spacing simulated):

Code: Select all

1. Bullet item 1

Paragraph item 1

2. Bullet item 2

Paragraph item 2

3. Bullet item 3

Paragraph item 3
The back end code for the above list looks like the following:

<ol>
   <li>
       <p>Bullet item 1</p>
       <p class="listParagraph">Paragraph item 1</p>
   </li>
   <li>
        <p>Bullet item 2</p>
        <p class="listParagraph">Paragraph item 2</p>
   </li>
   <li>
        <p>Bullet item 3</p>
        <p class="listParagraph">Paragraph item 3</p>
   </li>
</ol>
The above was done using the Make Paragraph Items option. The list uses the HTML <ol> tag, the line items use the standard <li> tag (with paragraph tags enclosing each line as shown above), and I applied a custom paragraph to the description paragraphs with a style of the following:

p.listParagraph {
    margin: 8px 0 8px 20px;
}

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Phlawm53 »

Lisa:

Well, something seems broken. The following illustrates the way I'm going about this.

First, I type four lines of text as follows:
One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Next I select all four lines, then in the list tool click Numbered list. I now have:
1. One.
2. Two.
3. Three.
4. Four.
So far, so good: All four of the items are li elements contained within a single ol element.

Now I position my insertion point in the second line, in the block display tool right-click the li element, then choose Make Paragraph Item.

Flare simply adds a p tag to the right of li tag; the item remains numbered.

And the resulting code doesn't resemble yours:
<ol>
<li>One.</li>
<li>
<p>Two.</p>
</li>
<li>Three.</li>
<li>Four.</li>
</ol>
I seem to recall that Flare started out behaving properly in this regard; that is to say that something appears to have gotten broken. Moreover, if I create an entirely new project (and so get a new CSS and so on), the behavior is the same: something isn't working right in my Flare 6 list machinery…?

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

You have to press Enter at the end of your list item after you make the <li> a paragraph item. That will get you a new <p> that does NOT contain a numeral. Hope that helps.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Phlawm53 »

Andrew:
You have to press Enter at the end of your list item after you make the <li> a paragraph item. That will get you a new <p> that does NOT contain a numeral. Hope that helps.
That was it -- just that simple! It's also funny, now that it's been solved.

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

Always nice to find the answer is something simple (if completely arbitrary). :)
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Phlawm53 »

For anyone who gets this far in the thread, here are the steps that enable you to get un-numbered paragraphs (and nicely aligned ones, too) into a numbered list.

1. Begin a numbered list with two or three items.

2. Place the insertion point at the end of a numbered item that you want to follow with an un-numbered paragraph. Flare highlights the li item in the "show blocks" area at the left side of the editing window.

3. Right-click the li block and choose Make Paragraph Items.

4. Press ENTER.

It's simple once I learned the sequence, but it wasn't immediately obvious what that sequence was…

Cheers & hope this helps,
Riley