Internal Error: Object Reference not set (Flare v5)

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Joost
Propeller Head

Internal Error: Object Reference not set (Flare v5)

Post by Joost »

After inserting a video made with Mimic V3 into my Flare V5 project, I get the following fatal error: "Internal Error: Object Reference not set to an instance of an object". I don't know what it means, nor do I know how to get rid of it.

Can anyone help????? I am really in trouble.

Joost
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Re: Internal Error: Object Reference not set (Flare v5)

Post by Andrew »

It doesn't mean anything useful to a user.

1) If you have a support contract, contact MadCap Support. If not, I'd submit a bug report (http://madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx).

2) Does the problem go away if you remove the video?

3) Can you reproduce the problem by adding the video to a sample project?
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
derek_warren
Propeller Head

Post by derek_warren »

Has anyone found a resolution to this issue? If not, I'm even more nervous as I'm working on a large project, can't build any output, and I can't find a resolution.

Here's the error i got...and I've included the messages in the screenshot, too...appears to fail after passing a tables style sheet. I tried deleting (and removing links to) that tables style sheet. But the build then just failed a little later.
fatal error during compile of WebHelp target.png
Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

The error you're seeing almost certainly has nothing to do with the error Joost saw. It's a general programming error that means the program tried to do something that is not allowed in its framework, so it can happen almost anywhere there is a bug of that type.

In your case, I'd condition-out or otherwise remove the UEstyles.css just to see if it would build properly afterwards. If it does, you know the problem is in that file. There is something that Flare doesn't like in there, and you have to try to figure out what. In a situation like this, I typically do things like trying out the CSS in a sample project, open it in a text editor to see if there are any obvious problems (like junk data that might suggest corruption, or some malformed XML). Then either contact support or submit a bug report.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
Joost
Propeller Head

Post by Joost »

Joost wrote:After inserting a video made with Mimic V3 into my Flare V5 project, I get the following fatal error: "Internal Error: Object Reference not set to an instance of an object". I don't know what it means, nor do I know how to get rid of it.

Can anyone help????? I am really in trouble.

Joost
I found a work-around to this one. I had put my video tutorials in the same folder as my images. Apparently, Flare does not like that. If I move the video files to a different directory, it all works fine. Dunno what the problem is here, though.

Joost