Using Mimic for recording install wizards

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
Marcy
Jr. Propeller Head

Using Mimic for recording install wizards

Post by Marcy »

I'm running our software application's install executable file on Windows 7 and recording using Mimic 7, but Mimic only records the first dialog (already open when I start recording) and does not record any subsequent dialogs for that Wizard. The same applies if I record the whole process from clicking the executable file in Windows Explorer.... the Explorer window shows but subsequent dialogs, ie. the install wizard, don't.
Any thought on how to get Mimic to record steps / sequential windows on an install wizard?
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Using Mimic for recording install wizards

Post by SteveS »

Hi Marcy,

Welcome to the forums! :D

I find the best thing to do is to hit the print screen button every time the screen changes to make sure all dialog boxes and other things of interest are captured.

Then, when you have completed running through the process you can delete the duplicated frames so that you only have one instance of each dialog box.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Marcy
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Using Mimic for recording install wizards

Post by Marcy »

Thanks for the info.
So for me that equates to:
1. Open Paint.
2. Record movie.
3. At each new dialog press ALT + PrtScn.

The final movie includes all cursor movements/clicks in the initial Windows Explorer dialog, but no cursor movements or click for any subsequent dialogs. The series of new dialogs are recorded as a video attached to one of the frames, added to the movie project as a Video folder with one frame. I have yet to see how to insert any cursors/clicks through a video...that can be this afternoon's task!

Not at all easy so far.