How to turn off "There are new updates available..."

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
pberry
Jr. Propeller Head

How to turn off "There are new updates available..."

Post by pberry »

My department is just rolling out Flare v10.1 and I don't want my writers confused every time they open a project by getting a message indicating maybe they should update. I want to control all the updates by giving permission when it is convenient during our release cycles. And I want some lead time on everyone else for each update so that I can anticipate and prepare to answer any questions that my writers may have. Can this dialog be suppressed in any way? Thanks!
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Re: How to turn off "There are new updates available..."

Post by Msquared »

That would be nice, wouldn't it? I too haven't jumped to use the latest version, just in case. I always like to let the braver folks try it out first. :-)

I'm getting a bit fed up with Flare nagging me too. But at this point in the release cycle, I suspect it is really just a maintenance release, and is likely to fix more problems than it causes. It certainly won't have new functionality that's incompatible with previous versions, nor will it have new and interesting bugs like the x.0.0 releases.
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

I suppose you could try blocking the port that Flare uses to reach out to check for new updates. That would make Flare not be able to locate the updates. It seems that in prior versions of Flare I had to allow Flare access through the firewall to allow Flare to contact the MadCap servers. Just an idea.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Nina Esile
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Nina Esile »

Does no one at Flare know how to shut this message off?

I just updated, but I continue to get the message. When I look at Help > About, it reports version 10.2.0 July 2, 2014.

How do I make it stop?
Nina Esile
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Nina Esile »

My mistake. I thought I had just updated, but there was another update 8/15/14, which I just installed today.

Now the message is gone.

Phew.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Nina Esile wrote:Does no one at Flare know how to shut this message off?

I just updated, but I continue to get the message. When I look at Help > About, it reports version 10.2.0 July 2, 2014.

How do I make it stop?
Hi Nina,

This is a peer support forum, even the MVPs are just normal users and not Madcap employees.

Support, like Rob, look in from time to time, but usually you are tapping into user experience! If you need someone from Madcap to answer you will need to contact support directly. :)
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Nina Esile
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Nina Esile »

SteveS wrote:This is a peer support forum, even the MVPs are just normal users and not Madcap employees.

Support, like Rob, look in from time to time, but usually you are tapping into user experience! If you need someone from Madcap to answer you will need to contact support directly. :)
Steve,

Of course. I know that. I must not have been wearing my propeller cap at the moment. What a silly way for me to pose my question.

Thanks for the reminder. :)

Nina
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

:D
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.