Flare 6 on Vista: Failed to run command 'Start Page'.

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Flare 6 on Vista: Failed to run command 'Start Page'.

Post by Phlawm53 »

For Flare 6.0.0 - 2010-02-25 7:48 PM on Vista fully-patched.

Clicking the Flare icon begins the startup sequence, at which the following error message titled "Madcap Flare V6" appears:

------ Begin error message text ------

Failed to run command 'Start Page'.

Exception:
Unable to get the window handle for the 'Flash Player' Control.
Windowless Active X controls are not supported. (Attempted read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.)

------ End error message text ------

- Behind the message box, the Flare Start page can be seen. So contrary to the error message, it evidently didn't entirely "fail to run".

- After clicking OK in the error message box, Flare 6 appears to run properly.

- I tried running Flare.exe as administrator to see if that changed the startup behavior -- it didn't.

- This computer otherwise runs fine: No other programs exhibit similar complaints.

Any ideas?

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Flare 6 on Vista: Failed to run command 'Start Page'.

Post by RamonS »

Since it mentions Flash Player, maybe (re)installing the current version of Flash Player may help. Next up would be a refresh of the .NET runtime. In any case, these error messages are quite useless. I complained about that several times to MadCap, but my guess is that .NET is so dysfunctional that proper error handling is impossible.
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Flare 6 on Vista: Failed to run command 'Start Page'.

Post by Phlawm53 »

Hmm, thought I'd closed the loop on this thread but don't see my resolution so I'll submit it again.

RamonS was correct. My Windows 7 laptop had Flash 9 installed. Removing it and installing Flash 10 resolved the problem.

Cheers & hope this helps,
Riley