Use of Lingo by blind translators

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Use of Lingo by blind translators

Post by GeorgeBell »

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any experience with blind translators and Lingo?

I have two cases, and doubtless more will emerge, where we have very highly skilled simultaneous translators who are also blind. One is Russian, the other Spanish.

Initial tests suggest that it could be possible for them to use Lingo, which would save having a second sighted person to perform the input.

Much of the screens are spoken back through the user's speech synthesiser software, although in some cases Madcaps's programmers have failed to label some of the buttons and icons - an easy enough problem to rectify.

I've be most interested in talking anyone about this as will quite a large list of blind programmers and developers.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Use of Lingo by blind translators

Post by Nita Beck »

George, this is a very interesting question. I think your best resource for an answer will be the folks at MadCap. I'd start with Jose Sermeno. He knows Lingo cold (or nearly so), and he led or otherwise participated in a couple of translation sessions at MadWorld 2014 earlier this week, with several of MadCap's developers in the room. Or if you can't get through to Jose, call your sales rep and explain what you are trying to find out. Hopefully he or she can point you to the right MadCapper to listen to your ideas. (But trust me, they are exhausted right now, post MadWorld.)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Use of Lingo by blind translators

Post by GeorgeBell »

Yes, Nita, indeed it was my sales/support rep who suggest I ask on the Forum.

There are essentially two reasons for asking.

First, is that over the years I have found it much quicker and easier to use keystrokes where practical in applications, rather than scrabble around with the mouse, and Lingo is no exception.

Second, and most importantly, the application which I use Flare for, can produce braille in over 140 different languages. Localising the application itself is very easy. However, the Help files are another matter altogether, and Lingo appears to be perfect for that.

Many of those who are best placed to do this work are often university graduates, themselves blind, and who also know the subject matter. Many have become simultaneous translators who listen to someone speaking in one language, and immediately translate and speak it back in another.

This is why I was hoping to meet up with a Lingo user who perhaps already uses a blind translator, who in turn either uses, or could potentially use, Lingo to do the input.