Images imported from Word are cropped

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Images imported from Word are cropped

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Hi folks,

Has anyone encountered this and, hopefully, found an answer? I have Word 2007 documents with many charts in them. When I import the Word documents into Flare 10, Flare is cropping the bottom few pixels off the charts. This is not a CSS issue; when I look at the imported images in the project folder, the images are actually cropped. The charts have a table of data below them and the images crop off the bottom border of the table and up to a pixel off the bottom of the numbers in that last row!

When i double-check the charts in Word, they are whole, and there even seems to be a few pixels of white space after the data table. I can't convert the charts in Word to PNG images before importing because when Flare imports the PNGs, they look absolutely horrible. There are lots of heavy black outlines all over everything. I've tried converting them to all the other formats available in Word 2007 and they all look terrible or get distorted.

The imported chart objects look the best out of all the Word format options, except for the cropping. Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?

I'm grateful for any suggestions you might have.
-jeff
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Images imported from Word are cropped

Post by Chicago_HPT »

I think I've discovered a workaround. I've only tested it on one topic but that topic has three charts in it and all three imported properly after applying the workaround. What I did was this: I applied a border to each chart in Word, before importing to Flare. I made the color white, to match my document background, and the width 2 pt.

Things I need to still do to fine-tune the workaround:
  • Test on more topics and charts!
  • Try different color borders. In particular, I'm curious to know if the border is cropped off or if Flare crops to the border.
  • Expanding on the above, try a transparent border.
  • Try different border widths. If the border gets cropped, then 2 pts seems to do the job for now. But if it doesn't get cropped, perhaps a thinner border will suffice.
I'll post back when I have a more refined workaround, for anyone else that might encounter this problem. In the meantime, my initial question remains: has anyone else encountered this issue and, if so, do you know an actual solution?

Thanks,
-jeff
Last edited by Chicago_HPT on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Images imported from Word are cropped

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Well, I don't have a more refined work-around. This seems to be the one I'm going to have to settle on. One thing I did discover, though, is that the default value for the border of 0.75 pt seems to do the trick. So, no need to increase it to 2 pts.

-jeff