Batch Topic Creation

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Batch Topic Creation

Post by atomdocs »

I just submitted a feature request for a simple function to create a batch of new topics (with title and heading, but no content), using e.g. a csv list, to avoid plodding through the new topic dialog box again and again. I'd find this useful for setting up a framework of topics for a new project, or even just a new chapter or section. (Not concerned with importing content, linking, or syncing.) I currently use the Word import function with a Word file that lists all the topic titles, but it is still a bit long-winded and basically I just turn all the options off, and I still get an additional TOC and stylesheet (known "feature").

I was wondering if other people work this way?
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Batch Topic Creation

Post by Nita Beck »

That would be quite handy.

In the meantime, you can try Thomas Tregner's batch create plug-in for Flare, which he explains here: http://tregner.com/flare-blog/create-to ... a-plug-in/.

And yes, I think other people do want a way to quickly populate a project with topics. My practice when setting up a new project is to lay the topics out using mindmapping software. I create the map of topics and then export the map to Word and import the Word doc to Flare. I presented this technique at MadWorld 2013 and also wrote about it here: http://beck-communications.com/2013/12/ ... ject-pt-1/. (Just haven't found the time to write the promised Part 2... :(.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Thanks Nita, great info, just what I was looking for. I like the amount of configuration that your mindmap workflow allows - great lateral thinking. I am also a OneNote fan, so I will try that. Have you got that working? Thomas' plugin looks great for setting up a quick framework. I can see that I would use both workflows. Thanks again.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I did indeed get the OneNote technique to work, using OneNote 2010 (don't know if it'll work with 2013, but can't imagine why it wouldn't).

These features of OneNote make it easy to prototype a Flare project:
-- Can nest pages under other pages as subpages, and can easily rearrange pages and subpages.
-- Can include content as tables, lists, images, even links from one page to another page.
-- Can create a page template, which is really handy to have topics already populated with some content.
-- Can save a OneNote notebook as a Word document in which each page is turned into a heading of the appropriate level (so a top-level page becomes an h1 and a subpage becomes h2, h3, etc., depending on how deeply it's nested in the hierarchy).

Then just import the Word doc into Flare as you normally would.

It only just now occurred to me that OneNote might make a nice tool for collaboration of initial content. Say one has contributors who need to draft initial content that you'll then bring into Flare. Assuming the use of OneNote, you could give the contributors a page template that they then populate with draft content. You get those pages from them, arrange them into one OneNote notebook, save the notebook as a Word doc, and then import that into Flare.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by atomdocs »

Thanks Nita, I am looking forward to trying this. A few more reasons to love OneNote. Your point about collaboration makes this a really powerful tool. I am relying on OneNote to run my brain when the singularity comes.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Another reason that having contributors use OneNote instead of Word is that OneNote has a very limited set of styles. I'd end up training my contributors to never worry about styles and "fancy" formatting. Just use the OneNote styles, as is. When contributors use Word, I've found that some tend to "get creative" with styles, which I end up having to strip out anyway before importing to Flare.
Nita
Davidg
Propeller Head

Post by Davidg »

Nita,
you wrote "-- Can save a OneNote notebook as a Word document in which each page is turned into a heading of the appropriate level ..." but OneNote 2010 only appears to allow saving of an entire Notebook in PDF, XPS or ONEPKG.

David Green
Cambridge UK
DAVID GREEN | Sepura plc | Technical Author
P: +44(0)1223 877206 | david.green@sepura.com | http://www.sepura.com
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Davidg wrote:Nita,
you wrote "-- Can save a OneNote notebook as a Word document in which each page is turned into a heading of the appropriate level ..." but OneNote 2010 only appears to allow saving of an entire Notebook in PDF, XPS or ONEPKG.

David Green
Cambridge UK
If you click File to open backstage view, Then click Save As you will see 3 options under Save Current. If notebook is selected you have limited options, but selecting page or section will give you a lot more file formats, including .doc and .docx.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

...Ah. I see what you mean. The options are there to select entire notebook when saving as a Word document, but it splashes a warning dialog it can't be done when you click Save.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.