Set "Number of header rows" in Table Style Editor

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Evetsm
Propeller Head

Set "Number of header rows" in Table Style Editor

Post by Evetsm »

I applied a specific table style sheet to the tables in my project. Later, using the Table Properties dialog, I had to set number of header rows to 1 in the tables, so I could take advantage of repeating table headers when a table spans pages in PDF output. I had to do this manually to each table in my project.

This kind of activity is time-consuming and tedious. Is there a way to set number of header rows to 1 in the TableStyle editor? I looked but I couldn't find the option. (It's probably there but I didn't see it. :roll: )

Cheers,
Steve
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Set "Number of header rows" in Table Style Editor

Post by Nita Beck »

Short answer is "no". The table stylesheet controls styling. An individual table's properties defines the structure of that table, such as whether or not it has any header rows and how many, or any footer rows and how many.

Others here might know of a way that you can tweak the code of multiple tables at the same time using search-and-replace (either Flare's or a third-party's editor such as FAR HTML).
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Post by kwag_myers »

I'm using Flare V10, and when I insert a table, the Properties dialog retains my last setting. Which leads me to ask the question, how are you adding tables to your topics?
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
Evetsm
Propeller Head

Post by Evetsm »

Hi Kwag,

In this case, it's from importing a Word document. I imported the document, then I applied a table style that a consultant created. When I was testing PDF output I noticed that row headers were not repeating so I posted my question.

I and the rest of my team are complete novices so any comments you have are valued.

Regards,
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Post by kwag_myers »

That being the case, I can only repeat Nita's response in that there's no easy way to make the adjustment. One thing that may speed up the process somewhat (assuming you have several tables) is to do a search and replace outside of Flare. Search & Replace Master is one I'm most familiar with, and PLEASE make a backup of your files first.

Not knowing your coding skill level, I'll make this simple. If you look at the syntax of a table in the Text Editor, the header row looks like this:

Code: Select all

<thead>
                <tr>
                    <th> </th>
                    <th> </th>
                    <th> </th>
                </tr>
            </thead>
You can search for <table*<tr> and replace with <table{$1}(the code I have above)<tr>. Unless you're anal about your code, you can put it all on one line with no spacing, e.g., <table{$1}<thead><tr><th> </th>.... When you look at a table in the XML Editor you'll see a blank header row either way.
Evetsm
Propeller Head

Post by Evetsm »

Thanks, Kwag.

Thanks for the explanation and also for pointing me to S & R Master. I'll download it and use it as a tool.

Regards,
Steve
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Post by kwag_myers »

It's a great tool, but you can do a lot of damage with it (I've brought "User Error" to a whole new level with this thing). Always keep a backup.