Creating Build from older version of Flare Project

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
dawn_99
Jr. Propeller Head

Creating Build from older version of Flare Project

Post by dawn_99 »

I use Flare 9.0 with Subversion.

Is there a way from within Flare to:
  • - tag the project when the work is complete for a release, and then
    - go back later and get a version of the entire project as it was at the tag so I can re-build the outputs for the version.
I have read the FlareSourceControlGuide.pdf and while it talks about viewing and returning to early versions of a topic I don't see anything about viewing earlier versions for the entire project based on tags.

Thanks!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Creating Build from older version of Flare Project

Post by Nita Beck »

The short answer is, no, you cannot create a Subversion tag (which, for those unfamiliar with Subversion, is something entirely different from a condition tag or file tag in Flare) using Flare. Although Flare is a Subversion client, it is limited in how it can interact with the Subversion repository. It cannot create tags or branches, and it cannot merge changes from a tag or the trunk to a branch or from a branch to a tag or the trunk, just to name of a few of its limitation.

But you might be able to accomplish what you're after using another Subversion client, and I recomment TortoiseSVN. You can use it to create a tag retroactively, but you'll need to do a little sleuthing in the repository; you'll need to find out what the revision number was at the point at which you want to create the tag (I assume from the trunk). I'm not sure precisely on the steps you'll need to follow to create the tag, so you'll need to read up in TortoiseSVN's Help system how to do this.

Once you have the tag created, use TortoiseSVN to copy the URL to the tag. Then start up Flare and create a NEW project by importing from source control. Flare will want to know the URL to the tag. Then Flare'll fetch the project files for you and you can then do a build.

FWIW, I always always always create a tag in Subversion when I have finished with a given release cycle, so that I never ever have to retroactively create a tag in Subversion. Furthermore, I actually put a zipped copy of the OUTPUT I generate with Flare in the Subversion repository too, just as a holding place. That way, I don't ever need to rebuild a past output. I can just go get it out of the repository, copy it to my computer, unzip it, and go. No need to get Flare involved at all.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
dawn_99
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Creating Build from older version of Flare Project

Post by dawn_99 »

Thank you very much for that information Nita. I appreciate you taking the time to explain that! Very helpful.