TFS - Can't Delete File. Locked By Another User

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
dcisneros
Propeller Head

TFS - Can't Delete File. Locked By Another User

Post by dcisneros »

I use TFS in conjunction with Flare, and I'm experiencing an issue where Flare will not let me delete a file because it's checked out by another user. However, I'm the user who has the project checked out. I've tried checking in the entire project, checking it out, and then trying to delete the file, but I continue to receive the error.

This first started happening to me when I had Analyzer open alongside Flare, and I assumed the issue came from telling Analyzer to open a topic within Flare after I had scanned the project. I don't have Analyzer open this time though, and I'm having still having trouble deleting a file. Oddly enough, I can make changes to a file, save them, and check in the file but I cannot delete anything. I've also tried deleting the file from TFS, but an error displays saying "that change conflicts with one or more other pending changes to that item."

Any tips/workarounds/anything would be much appreciated!
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: TFS - Can't Delete File. Locked By Another User

Post by SteveS »

Bit of a wild guess...

I'd reboot the PC and before opening Flare I'd try to delete the Analyser folder from within the project folders (make a copy in a different location if your uncomfortable with deleting folders). Then see if you can delete the files from TFS that are giving you grief.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
JohnB
Propeller Head

Post by JohnB »

This recently happened to me. Here's the scoop, which may or may not apply:

I had left a file checked out in TFS. I had my laptop reimaged by IS and they gave it a new name. In TFS, though I am still me ;) , the checkout was mapped to the old machine name. I would think the same might also happen if you recently changed computers.

A TFS admin was able to remove the lock, allowing me to check out the file and then check it in. (Make a local copy of the file first to assure you don't loose any changes.)

- John
tanselme
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by tanselme »

You cannot delete a file until it is checked in. Within Flare, check the file in. Then try to delete it.
dcisneros
Propeller Head

Post by dcisneros »

Late reply, but I tried rebooting and deleting the Analyzer folder from the project folders, and it still did not work. My workspace and everything in TFS checks out, so I couldn't figure it out on that end, but I do appreciate that tip, JohnB! I'm definitely going to have to keep that in mind for future reference. I've tried multiple variations on checking out a topic and then deleting or checking everything in and then deleting, but I didn't get too far there either.

I did find, however, that if I went to the local folder on my machine, deleted the topic from the folder, and then did a Get Latest Version in TFS and Flare, I could successfully delete items. It's just hard to tell what's causing this because the situation doesn't happen consistently enough for me to figure it out, but I do appreciate everyone's help and tips.

Thanks again!