CHM Viewer displaying xml/html to user

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
joe_mccormack
Jr. Propeller Head

CHM Viewer displaying xml/html to user

Post by joe_mccormack »

I am on a development team where I must review the help file. The HTML Help as created by flare and distributed to me in the build displays xml\html code as content in the default viewer. No other member of the team including the author has this problem. I am running win7 with latest ie. I reset ie to default settings and this did not fix the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: CHM Viewer displaying xml/html to user

Post by lacastle »

What does the code say?
How are you viewing the help? Were you given the whole .chm file, or just an individual topic?
joe_mccormack
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by joe_mccormack »

Using standard chm help file viewer as invoked from application help menu. It is a complete help file.
Each topic displays as a raw html document in the viewer.

Attached below is a sample
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?>
- <html xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd" MadCap:lastBlockDepth="4" MadCap:lastHeight="542" MadCap:lastWidth="749" MadCap:disableMasterStylesheet="true" MadCap:tocPath="Importing" MadCap:InPreviewMode="false" MadCap:RuntimeFileType="Topic" MadCap:TargetType="HtmlHelp" MadCap:PathToHelpSystem="../" MadCap:HelpSystemFileName="LotSmarterHelp.xml" MadCap:SearchType="Stem">
- <head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Windows-1252" />
<link href="ms-its:LotSmarterHelp.chm::/SkinSupport/MadCap.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<title>Import Overview</title>
<link href="ms-its:LotSmarterHelp.chm::/Resources/Stylesheets/Styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="../SkinSupport/MadCapMerging.js" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="../SkinSupport/MadCapAliasFile.js" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="../SkinSupport/MadCapUtilities.js" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="../SkinSupport/MadCapBody.js" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="../SkinSupport/MadCapHighlighter.js" />
</head>
- <body>
- <h1>
Import Overview
<a name="kanchor3" />
</h1>
- <p>
You can import data into LotSmarter through the
<b>Imports</b>
tab. LotSmarter can read data from files of comma-separated values (CSV) and use that data to create the following types of records:
</p>
- <ul>
<li value="1">Auction lots</li>
<li value="2">Inventory items</li>
<li value="3">Historical descriptions</li>
</ul>
- <p>
When using the import features, you must understand how the data in your CSV file maps to the fields on the
<b>Lot/Item Details</b>
pane. After you choose which file to import, LotSmarter reads it and creates a list of fields in the file. You must then tell LotSmarter which of those fields you want to import and what LotSmarter field matches each imported field.
</p>
<p>The data in a CSV file should have a pattern similar to the following data:</p>
- <table style="width: 100%;">
- <tbody>
- <tr>
- <td>
Item,Lot order,Lot title,Description,Quantity,Lot Type,Ask Price,Reserve,Images
<br />
1,,Hank Aaron baseball card,"Autographed rookie year card, good condition",1,,,,
<br />
2,,Jim Rice baseball card,"Autographed 1989 card, fair condition",1,,,,
<br />
3,,Cal Ripken baseball,"Autographed 1998 card, good condition",5,,,,
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
<p>The first line lists the field names in order. The following lines each correspond to a single record and contain the values in the same order that the field names are listed. If there is no value in a particular field, it is still marked by a comma to preserve the order. Values that might contain characters, like a comma, that could be misinterpreted are surrounded with quotes.</p>
<h2>For more information:</h2>
- <ul>
- <li value="1">
<a href="Working%20with%20Imports.htm" class="MCXref" xrefformat="See "{paratext}"">See "Working with Imports"</a>
</li>
- <li value="2">
<a href="Imports%20Tab%20User%20Interface%20Reference.htm" class="MCXref" xrefformat="See "{paratext}"">See "Imports Tab User Interface Reference"</a>
</li>
- <li value="3">
<a href="../Exporting/Export%20Overview.htm" class="MCXref" xrefformat="See "{paratext}"">See "Export Overview"</a>
</li>
</ul>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<script type="text/javascript" src="../SkinSupport/MadCapBodyEnd.js" />
</body>
</html>
Madcap Guru
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Madcap Guru »

What is your default browser? if they create a new sample chm does it happen also?
Rick Ferrell

Former Flare and Robohelp Support
joe_mccormack
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by joe_mccormack »

Fixed.

FireFox has been my browser of choice for a few years. However, when I bought Office 2010, MS Outlook generated dozens of error messages when fetching email claiming they were FireFox documents. So, I reluctantly made IE my default browser thinking it would play nice with Office, which it did.

Then the help viewer problem arose.

Eventually, I took the time to look at all the default file associations and noticed that some of the html types (xhtml and so on) were still assigned to FireFox. So, I assigned all orphaned defaults to IE and that did the trick.