Changing the HHC TOC name in HTML Help

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
GregStenhouse
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GregStenhouse »

All our TOCS are compiled as "_Temp.hhc" in HTML help. We need this to be something else as a different TOC name is referenced in other legacy help files (when merging the TOCs). I can't see a way to change this from within Flare, and I really don't want to have to modify the output folder and re-compile. Any ideas?

Cheers
Greg
rpineger
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by rpineger »

Hi everyone, I think I'm having more or less the same problem as Greg.

I'm having a little trouble here because I've switched to Flare and I'm trying to include a Flare help system in a precompiled HTMLHelp master project (generated in another tool and I won't say which ;-) ). I have no control over the master project.

The master project references the CHM filename and the table of contents .hhc file inside the CHM by the original filename. The problem is that when Flare generates HTML Help it temporarily creates an hhp project, hhc contents list, hhk index file, and ali alias file all beginning with the name '_Temp', that is:
_Temp.hhp
_Temp.hhc
_Temp.hhk
_Temp.ali

You can find them in the folder:

... \Output\<username>\Temporary\Microsoft HTML Help\Content

It appears that this naming isn't a user configurable setting. Does anyone have a way to control these names or a suggestion for a neat and tidy workaround so that I can have an hhc file with a name of my choice?

Best regards,
Richard Pineger
rpineger
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Changing the HHC TOC name in HTML Help

Post by rpineger »

it isn't a long-term fix but I have managed to get the help system working. Here are the steps in the workaround:

Requirement: Have Microsoft HTML Help Workshop downloaded and installed. You can find it through microsoft.com.

1) Publish from Flare to HTML Help.
1) Navigate to ... \Output\<username>\Temporary\Microsoft HTML Help\Content
These are the temporary files that are created by Flare then directly built into the finished help system.
2) In a text editor (try Notepad++), open _Temp.hhp and search and replace _Temp with <8-character-textstring-no-spaces>
3) Save _Temp.hhp
4) Rename the following files to the <8-character-textstring-no-spaces>. Leave the extensions as they are:
_Temp.hhp
_Temp.hhc
_Temp.hhk
_Temp.ali
5) Start HTML Help Workshop and open <8-character-textstring-no-spaces>.hhp.
6) Select File > Compile

Regards,
Richard Pineger