Related Topics Control "dead" in Preview, "live" in Target?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Related Topics Control "dead" in Preview, "live" in Target?

Post by Phlawm53 »

------
For Flare 10.02, HTML5 Target

Before I file a bug, I wanted to see if anyone else has seen the following behavior, and if so can suggest a remedy for it.
  • IF I insert a Related Topics Control into a topic, AND use the HTML5 Preview to view the topic, THEN the Related Topics Control rollover is "live" but the Related Topic Control itself is "dead" as in non-responsive / non-functional.
  • IF I generate the HTML5 Target, AND view the Target in either Firefox or Internet Explorer, THEN the Related Topics Control works perfectly.
The following screenshot shows the "dead" Related Topics Control in the Flare 10.02 HTML5 Preview:
Flare1002RelatedTopicPreviewDead01.PNG
In the Flare 10.02 Preview tool, the rollover highlighting works (i.e., is "live") but clicking the Preview's link produces no result — it's "dead". AND IF I configure the Related Topics Control to display the related topics in a list, the Preview contains no list. So in Preview, the Related Link Control is non-functional.

Next, the following screenshot shows the fully functional Related Topics Control in Firefox 31:
Flare1002RelatedTopicPreviewDead02.PNG
In either Firefox or Internet Explorer, the generated Related Topic Preview works perfectly in both the popup or list modes.

Note that I viewed this in IE because I believe it's the underpinnings of Flare's Preview feature(?) So my thought was perhaps it was an intrinsic IE "feature"; which it evidently is NOT.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
SFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Related Topics Control "dead" in Preview, "live" in Target?

Post by NorthEast »

Isn't this not just normal for Preview?

Flare doesn't fully process the topic in Preview as it does for the output; I'm fairly sure that it's never calculated the entries for help controls (like related topics) or proxies (like miniTOCs).
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Phlawm53 »

Dave Lee wrote: I'm fairly sure that it's never calculated the entries for help controls (like related topics) or proxies (like miniTOCs).
Now that you say it, it makes sense. I guess I just expected something to happen in Preview. But going forward I'll know better.

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

You'll see similar results with other elements like mini-toc-proxies. Anything that requires processing more than one page won't work properly in the preview. That means if you are previewing a PDF version of your topic and you have cross references, those numbers will all be wrong, etc.

Just a limitation of the preview, which is how they can make it so fast. (Relative to the time it takes to build the whole project.)
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Phlawm53 »

doc_guy wrote:Anything that requires processing more than one page won't work properly in the preview.
As I said earlier, now that I've heard that it makes perfect sense.

But I wonder if it wouldn't be useful to provide a small Preview popup for those features that says something like "you're generated list appears here" or the like. Just thinking out loud as it were…

Cheers, thanks 'gain to all, and have a super weekend,
Riley
SFO