Free tools to analyse web traffic

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
deeptikorwar
Sr. Propeller Head

Free tools to analyse web traffic

Post by deeptikorwar »

Hi,

Are there any good free tools to analyse the internal website traffic that has been deployed for the online help.

Thanks,
Deepti
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Free tools to analyse web traffic

Post by RamonS »

The only tool that comes to mind is Google Analytics if you want live reports. If you can live with not up to the second updated reports you can use any one of the many log file analyzers. I can give you a list of tools I used in the past when you tell me which web server you use.
deeptikorwar
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by deeptikorwar »

Thank you Ramon.

I got the server details from the dev. Here you go:

OS = Windows 2008 R2 Standard
Web server = Microsoft IIS Server 7

Thanks,
Deepti
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

For IIS you can use Grab the log file and have the tools analyze it. They each present the results a bit differently. I think you can also hook them into the server directly and retrieve the log that way. I went the offline route for the analysis I had to do. Both tools are free to use, I did not look into paid products because my budget for any project is 0$.
As mentioned before, you can also use Google Analytics, but IIRC you have to add something to each page in the application to pass on the user data. It will give you tons of reports that can be exported and processed further.
deeptikorwar
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by deeptikorwar »

Thanks a lot Ramon. I will try to get the log files from dev.

Another question, can Google Analytics be used for an internal website. I mean the helptext can be only accessed by users within the internal network.

Thanks,
Deepti
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

I'm tending to say 'No', but I really do not know. We have it running on a public site only. You can get more info right from the source: https://www.google.com/analytics/features/