HTML5 output - disable file paths visible in search results

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
abeason
Jr. Propeller Head

HTML5 output - disable file paths visible in search results

Post by abeason »

For the HTML5 output, is it possible to disable the file paths of topics showing up in search results? For example: 1Topics/Glossary.htm
I've tried messing with the "search result path" setting in the skin, but it seems to refuse to accept no settings. I tried deleting the code in the skin and that just broke everything. The best I can do is set the font at white, and then it's less visible, but still there. Is there somewhere else that I can disable this? I can't seem to find any documentation on it. :(
sfoley
Propeller Head

Re: HTML5 output - disable file paths visible in search results

Post by sfoley »

abeason wrote:I've tried messing with the "search result path" setting in the skin, but it seems to refuse to accept no settings. I tried deleting the code in the skin and that just broke everything. The best I can do is set the font at white, and then it's less visible, but still there. Is there somewhere else that I can disable this? I can't seem to find any documentation on it. :(
If you can set the color to white using CSS, then you should also be able to hide the content. Use visibility: hidden; or display: none; to hide or remove the content, respectively.
nhhale
Propeller Head

Post by nhhale »

I've also been trying to remove the search results paths in an HTML 5 skin, but the Flare skin editor only allows one to change font settings, not the display properties for this feature. I tried adding a Display property (set to 'none') to the search result path in the XML skin file outside of Flare, but the compiler doesn't respect this extra property. I haven't been able to find a way to remove the URLs completely; I am wondering if the original poster ever found a solution?

Thanks in advance for any further information,
Nancy
Nancy Hutson Hale
Director, Education Services
SalesPage Technologies
http://www.salespage.com
Certified MAD for Flare
nhhale
Propeller Head

Post by nhhale »

I did find a way to disable the URLs/file paths in search results for HTML 5 output, but it involves either changing one's output files after building HTML 5 Help (WebHelp 2) OR changing some of the core Flare files. This works in Versions 9 and 9.1.

To change just the output files: Open the Styles.css file in the \Skins\Default\Stylesheets subfolder of your HTML 5 output folder, and change the definition of the .url cite style to remove all of the existing attributes and add the attribute display: none;--once saved, this change entirely suppresses the URLs/file paths in search results.

If you want to suppress the URLs/file paths in search results for all of your HTML 5 outputs without having to change the outputs each time you build them:
1) Save a copy of the Styles.css file in the Flare installation subfolder C:\Program Files (x86)\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare V9\Flare.app\Resources\WebHelp2\Desktop\Skins\Default\Stylesheets. Your installation folder may be in a slightly different location than this.
2) Open the Styles.css file in the Flare installation subfolder C:\Program Files (x86)\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare V9\Flare.app\Resources\WebHelp2\Desktop\Skins\Default\Stylesheets, and change the definition of the .url cite style to remove all of the existing attributes and add the attribute display: none;, and then save the file.
Nancy Hutson Hale
Director, Education Services
SalesPage Technologies
http://www.salespage.com
Certified MAD for Flare
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

This thread was mentioned in a separate discussion, so thought I'd cross-post this here too...

A much easier way to do this is to set the font color of the search result path to transparent.

Open the skin Styles tab, find the Search Result Path, then set Color to transparent.