Skinned output without javascript/Ajax?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
kellyh_hochanadel
Propeller Head

Skinned output without javascript/Ajax?

Post by kellyh_hochanadel »

Does anyone know if it’s possible to have Flare output the HTML content without using JavaScript/AJAX for the navigation? i.e. output the documentation so that each HTML page is “static” and has the navigation already in the output?

The way it currently works, when you click a link, the content is loaded via JavaScript (AJAX) and pulled into the already loaded navigation.

We are trying to build a web portal that passes credentials used in our customer ticketing system to Help. Since each file depends on the navigation already being there, my script can’t really load these files independently, if that makes sense.
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Re: Skinned output without javascript/Ajax?

Post by kwag_myers »

Is there a switch you can flip? I don't think so. If I understand, you want to hide the TOC (which you can do in the Skin Editor) and have a side frame of links in its place? The only way I know to do that is to use a two-column table with one column housing your TOC made up of links. You would then have to add two blocks of code to every existing topic:

After <body>

Code: Select all

<table class="main">
                <col style="width: 200px;" />
                <col />
                <tbody>
                    <tr>
                        <td><!--TOC links--></td>
                        <td>
Before </body>

Code: Select all

</td>
                    </tr>
                </tbody>
            </table>
You may also want to make up a blank topic to be used as a template for future topics.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
kellyh_hochanadel
Propeller Head

That's not quite what I'm looking for. When a user accesses the help system and selects a topic from the navigation, the URL looks something like this:

http://documentation.csid.us/index.html ... I%7C_____2

But the static content of the actual file is:

http://documentation.csid.us/Content/SM ... IIntro.htm

Is there a way to load the static content (documentation.csid.us/Content/SMS/SMSSOAAPIIntro.htm) without using the JavaScript/AJAX for the navigation, when a user is using the TOC to navigate through topics, or would we have to build something special ourselves?
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Post by kwag_myers »

Ah, you're output is HTML5 then? I have a project where there are links to specific topics, which open without the skin. The problem is that the user does not have access to the TOC. So, I'm using Dave Lee's Automatically open topics with navigation skin to immediately reload the page with the skin.

I realize you'd like to avoid JS, but other than my first suggestion, I'm not sure how you would do that.
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
kellyh_hochanadel
Propeller Head

kwag_myers wrote:Ah, you're output is HTML5 then? I have a project where there are links to specific topics, which open without the skin. The problem is that the user does not have access to the TOC. So, I'm using Dave Lee's Automatically open topics with navigation skin to immediately reload the page with the skin.

I realize you'd like to avoid JS, but other than my first suggestion, I'm not sure how you would do that.
Yes, our output is HTML5. The fact that _this_ JavaScript is running after the topic initially loads might be the key here. I'm going to check with the scripting guys to see if this would be a good solution for us. I wonder, though, if a user selects a topic FROM the navigation itself, not from a link without navigation, if it will go through the same treatment, (i.e. Open "Folder/topic.htm" but run the script to get Default.htm#Topic.htm%3FTocPath%3D_____1).

If we weren't so retentive about keeping our content private (despite the fact that we also email a PDF version of the guide to clients that they could summarily post anywhere on the internets) the script to pass the user credentials from one system to another wouldn't be an issue :/
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

This was posted on my blog too, so just to repeat here:
Dave Lee wrote:So perhaps rather than run your script from the topic, run it from the skin instead. On the skin ‘Toolbar’ tab, there’s an area on the right where you can insert a script; whatever you insert here will be run with default.htm when it opens.
kellyh_hochanadel
Propeller Head

Ooh... great suggestion. I'll hit up the scripter and see if this works. I didn't even think about adding a script to the skin, even though I've used that feature before. We'll see how it goes!

Thanks, y'all. :arrow: