Why is my H1 wrapping before it needs to?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
Vanessas
Propeller Head

Why is my H1 wrapping before it needs to?

Post by Vanessas »

Hi everyone! I am working with a Flarer project that was set up by someone not familiar with Flare (and I am only somewhat experienced myself) and I am trying to figure out why the first H1 on a page wraps before it needs to. As a test I put a second one on the page and it goes the full length of the page like the paragraph text. I have looked at the CSS settings but see nothing obvious other than I am not sure if Display:block plays a role.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Vanessa

p.s. I have Googled this but nothing useful is coming up.
kmorrison
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Why is my H1 wrapping before it needs to?

Post by kmorrison »

Vanessas wrote:Hi everyone! I am working with a Flare project that was set up by someone not familiar with Flare (and I am only somewhat experienced myself) and I am trying to figure out why the first H1 on a page wraps before it needs to. As a test I put a second one on the page and it goes the full length of the page like the paragraph text. I have looked at the CSS settings but see nothing obvious other than I am not sure if Display:block plays a role.
It could have something to do with the page layout (if it's print output) or the margins of other nearby objects. If so, you would probably see the text wrapping prematurely if you put a paragraph or an H2 heading in the same spot.
It could be a stylesheet rule that uses complex selectors, which is a possibility if the person who set it up is comfortable with CSS, in spite of not being familiar with Flare.

It's kind of hard to know, though, without being able to look at the project.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Does it happen with every heading or just some? If it's just some, then it's possible that there's a non-breaking space in the page-behind code (e.g., Hello World). When it comes across that non-breaking space, it treats that entire text as one word, and if there's not enough space to display Hello World, then it will wrap it to the next line.

If it happens with every heading, then I'd also think it's a style definition that kmorrison mentioned. Too margin-right or padding-right or even font size could affect the ability to fit the entire heading on one line.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Vanessas
Propeller Head

Post by Vanessas »

Thank you to all who replied. I ended up asking for help with this from MadCap Technical Support and they found the problem:

This behavior is occurring because the div.Toc_1 style class has a width of 30% applied. If this value is removed the behavior is corrected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was not a style I created - it was a legacy style from a miniTOC that had been in the right corner of each topic.

FIXED yay!

I must say that MadCap Technical Support has been great - I have contacted them twice lately and they have responded very quickly and answered the question/found the problem.

:)

Vanessa