Analytics for Technical Documentation

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
0Qq5Ew538tV
Propeller Head

Analytics for Technical Documentation

Post by 0Qq5Ew538tV »

Hey guys,

My boss recently asked me to start researching analytics tools for technical documentation because he doesn't think Google Analytics provides enough value. Do any of you use any third-party analytics tools? Which ones are the current best in class? Something that focuses specifically on technical documentation would be ideal.

Basically, I want to simply insert some tracking JavaScript into our existing doc pages, and then allow my boss to utilize whatever panel the third-party provides to track documentation quality, page views, etc.

If I can't find something suitable, he's considering a switch to something like Zoomin, Paligo, or Document 360.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Analytics for Technical Documentation

Post by Nita Beck »

Have you looked into the analytics that MadCap Central offers? I haven’t used it myself, so am only pointing you to info about it. As I understand it, the targeted doc site does not need to be hosted on Central in order to use Central analytics.

https://documentation.madcapsoftware.co ... lytics.htm
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
0Qq5Ew538tV
Propeller Head

Post by 0Qq5Ew538tV »

The target doc site doesn't have to be hosted in Central, but the content must be authored in a Flare project within Central unfortunately. All of our writers use the standalone MadCap Flare application, and we don't want to switch to Central (changing our entire infrastructure) just to get the Analytics portion. If we have to change the entire infrastructure, the boss wants to move to something else.
0Qq5Ew538tV
Propeller Head

Post by 0Qq5Ew538tV »

Also, looking into the analytics that Central provides, it's even less than Google Analytics, and he's already not satisfied with Google Analytics.
jmorse
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jmorse »

The target does not have to be hosted in Central, and it isn't changing the infrastructure, if you have a central account you can track search and usage. It is a great compliment to other analytic engines you may choose bc it is so targeted to the search in flare, including whether micro content was offered (it can help focus your efforts as you make the content better). Feel free to reach out to me, happy to chat through some inexpensive options to get analytics quickly in Central without changing your entire course - jmorse@madcapsoftware.com
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlexFox »

If you have a Central licence, then you can still author the project in the desktop app and fill in the details in the Analytics tab in the target.

I have used Hotjar in the past in a Flare project and it worked very well, just a simple JS tag as you desire, and there is a free forever version to boot.