Building Cross-Reference Question: Difference Between {page} and {pageref}

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
cdotdark
Jr. Propeller Head

Building Cross-Reference Question: Difference Between {page} and {pageref}

Post by cdotdark »

Howdy!

I'm working on building a custom cross-reference style and I've found myself confused by the difference between {page} and {pageref}. My desired cross-ref is basically looking like, "see {h1} on {page}." Preferably something that can change the page number when the document is altered and/or even dropping it altogether when publishing to an HTML target. I may be describing the exact behavior of the cross-reference, and if so, please have patience as I'm new to the software, haha.

Ultimately, my issue is that I'm confused by the potential choice between {page} and {pageref}, as I'm not sure what {pageref}'s 'context sensitive page reference' definition means in relation to {page}'s simpler 'page number' definition and what their differences entail. So far, I have not been able to find something that describes the differences and behaviors of the two options.

If anyone can explain or point me towards something that can, I would be forever grateful! Thank you!
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Building Cross-Reference Question: Difference Between {page} and {pageref}

Post by robdocsmith »

{page} will return a page number.
{pageref} will return either a page number or some text depending on the proximity of the reference. So it could say "on page 34" or "above" or "below" or "on next page" or "on previous page". See https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ht=pageref for some of the explanation.

These contextual page references for {pageref} are defined in the language skin for your project and can be changed if needed.

Hope that helps,

Rob
cdotdark
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Building Cross-Reference Question: Difference Between {page} and {pageref}

Post by cdotdark »

Thank you for the clarification and reference material! I greatly appreciate the help!