Localization vendors

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
mikejp
Propeller Head

Localization vendors

Post by mikejp »

Can I now assume that many localization vendors can handle Flare projects? If not, who?
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: Localization vendors

Post by Richard Ferrell »

The vendors would not need Flare, Just Lingo
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
mikejp
Propeller Head

Post by mikejp »

Granted - although it's a nice distinction. And in principle, I don't need Lingo. However, as I understand it, I do need to supply the (zipped) Flare / Blaze / whatever project to the vendor, yes?

Anyhow, where can I find vendors who are comfortable with this, such as the beta test customers you worked with?
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Yes they will only need the Flare project itself, and after they are done, you will have a new translated flare project back from them. I will check to see if we have a list of translating companies that have Lingo.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
mikejp
Propeller Head

Post by mikejp »

THX :)
Fedja
Propeller Head

Post by Fedja »

The list of commercial vendors is probably going to be slim in the start and increase with time, once they pick up on the fact that a share of their target market works in this tool.

Secondly, please please don't choose your localization vendor on the basis of whether or not he already has Lingo (unless you're looking to have a one-time project translated once and never speak to them again).

Localization is an extensive and sensitive operation, and so much more than just "translation". The actual translated text might be the most tangible result of the operation, but the planning and launching of a localized product and accompanying documentation should be a business-oriented process that's aimed at achieving strategic goals.

Having said that, if you're looking for a localization vendor and are investing in a (more or less) continuous service, whether they have Lingo or not is a flexible factor in the decision. Having worked both as a localization vendor and a localization client recently, I'd like to think a 10-minute installation procedure isn't the among the top of the vendor selection criteria.

I suggest you look into the vendors that fit the criteria of quality, speed, reliability, price, flexibility, and any other project-based aspects that you may find important. Then among those that provide the service that you need and expect, you should be able to find one that either has Lingo, or would be willing to acquire it to service your orders. It may even come down to you splitting the cost of Lingo purchase or having to finance it all together, but it's well worth it in the long run.

Nothing, and I mean nothing takes a dump on all of the work and effort you invested into your documentation like a bad translation/localization. What's worse, the "Translation Memory" work process guarantees that your initial bad translation will show its ugly face in your projects for years to come, and may eventually force you to wipe the gathered localization data clean and start the process all over again, often costing you lots of time and incurring unimaginable costs.

</rant> :mrgreen:
mikejp
Propeller Head

Post by mikejp »

All you say is true, and is sound advice, but isn't pertinent to the issues that I want to address right now.

The ability of a vendor to use Lingo isn't a key criteria as such, although the ability to localize help projects developed in Flare is - whatever tools are used. However, the ability of the vendor to localize help projects into multiple languages in a timely fashion is the key to deciding which help development tool we'll use going forward.

I guess my real question was whether any of the larger, well-known technical translation vendors are involved in Lingo's development, and might be prepared to validate any claim that MadCap is ahead of the curve here.