Printed .chm does not look like .chm on screen

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
pmonty
Jr. Propeller Head

Printed .chm does not look like .chm on screen

Post by pmonty »

Hi,

I have a problem with the background colors in my tables. They look the way I want on screen, but when I print the .chm they are printed without the background colors. Is there someone who can help me solve this problem?

Pernilla
Pete Lees
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Printed .chm does not look like .chm on screen

Post by Pete Lees »

Hi, Pernilla,

The HTML Help viewer uses the same print settings as Internet Explorer, which doesn't print background colours and images by default. To change this, you'd need to change the print settings in Internet Explorer (Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Print background colors and images).

Pete
Mette Nyberg
Propeller Head

Post by Mette Nyberg »

There can be many problems (sorry: challengens) in getting table settings right. The problem could also be the printer.
But I would start by checking the html code in the internal editor and see if there are any inline styles that override the .css.
And talking about the .css - have you set Medium mode correctly? I have often made the mistake to change a style for print when I really wanted to do it for the online version. Now I have made it a habit always to look at the medium setting first.
Mette
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

If the only difference is the background color of tables (or background images/colors in general), then I'm going to go with Pete's suggestion that it has to do with the print settings in the browser, which can be set not to print background colors/images, which is on by default.

If you're seeing differences in font, or heading, or something like that, then I'd say that you are seeing the Print Medium settings from your style sheet.

The former issue is a per-computer fix. You can't set anything in your project that will override the browser setting.

The latter issue is a style sheet fix. But my money (2 cents) is on the former issue being the case.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

pmonty
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by pmonty »

So it was as simple as the print settings in IE. Thank you so much.

Pernilla