Cross-references double in PDF using translated skin (V5)

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Joost
Propeller Head

Cross-references double in PDF using translated skin (V5)

Post by Joost »

Hi,

I am having trouble with my cross-references in my pdf output in V5. I added a translated skin, and translated the cross-reference formats in both the css and the skin. When I generate my pdf, I get something like "see x" op pagina op pagina "y". So, the translation of "on page" is inserted twice. I tried deleting the translations in the skin but Flare inserts the English back in.

How can I solve this on?

And why do these formats also appear in the skin? They are already in the CSS.

Thanks,

Joost Verplancke
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Cross-references double in PDF using translated skin (V5)

Post by LTinker68 »

One of the sets of "on page" is being fed by the language skin that you added to the project. If you open the language skin, go to Formats, then cross-references, you'll see the context-sensitive xref options. When you insert a context-sensitive xref into a topic, it will uses one of the formats in the language skin. Which one it uses depends on where the referenced topic is in relation to the current topic. So remove the "on page" text you have in your main topic stylesheet, because it'll automatically be added in (if necessary) when you use a context-sensitive xref in a topic.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Joost
Propeller Head

Post by Joost »

LTinker68 wrote:One of the sets of "on page" is being fed by the language skin that you added to the project. If you open the language skin, go to Formats, then cross-references, you'll see the context-sensitive xref options. When you insert a context-sensitive xref into a topic, it will uses one of the formats in the language skin. Which one it uses depends on where the referenced topic is in relation to the current topic. So remove the "on page" text you have in your main topic stylesheet, because it'll automatically be added in (if necessary) when you use a context-sensitive xref in a topic.
It is not clear to me what you mean. I am puzzled by the fact that there are two places where there are cross-reference formats and I don't understand how these interact with page references. If I go to my css, there is no "on page" text in the Madcap/xref because I translated it. If I delete the whole string in the css, the cross-reference itself is ok but the page reference has gone. And if I try deleting the xref formats in the skin, Flare puts them back in English.
Which one it uses depends on where the referenced topic is in relation to the current topic
I don't understand what you mean by this.

Thanks,

Joost
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Joost wrote:
LTinker68 wrote:One of the sets of "on page" is being fed by the language skin that you added to the project. If you open the language skin, go to Formats, then cross-references, you'll see the context-sensitive xref options. When you insert a context-sensitive xref into a topic, it will uses one of the formats in the language skin. Which one it uses depends on where the referenced topic is in relation to the current topic. So remove the "on page" text you have in your main topic stylesheet, because it'll automatically be added in (if necessary) when you use a context-sensitive xref in a topic.
It is not clear to me what you mean. I am puzzled by the fact that there are two places where there are cross-reference formats and I don't understand how these interact with page references...
If you use the "standard" xref tags so that your output displays "see Configuring the System" or "see Configuring the System on page 9", then the above doesn't apply -- most of the xref tags available when adding/modifying a xref class will give you what you want. However, if you use the {pageref} tag in an xref, then you're using a context sensitive tag. That one tag could result in the output saying "see Configuring the System above" or "see Configuring the System on the next page" or "see Configuring the System on page 9". The text that appears in the output is set on-the-fly at the time the project is built. The text that's substituted comes from that language skin. Even if you're writing in U.S. English, you have to create a language skin (by going to Tools > Manage Language Skins, selecting the language you want, then selecting Open File for Editing). You may not need to modify anything, but you still have to create it. In that language skin, you can change the text that is substituted at build-time for the {pageref} tag. For instance, one of the defaults is "on next page" but I prefer "on the next page", so I modify that text in the language skin, and that's the text that will be substituted. It's kind of annoying how you get to the language skin -- it would be nice if the one(s) you've already created appear at the top of the language skin list instead of having to always scroll down. Anyway, that's what the language skin is for and why you might want to modify it if you use the {pageref} tag in xrefs.

Joost wrote:
LTinker68 wrote:Which one it uses depends on where the referenced topic is in relation to the current topic
I don't understand what you mean by this.
So you're in a topic titled "Using the System" and in there you create a xref to a topic called "Configuring the System". If your xref has the {pageref} tag in it, then the value of that tag will vary depending on where the two files are in relation to each other in the final (print) output. For instance, if the "config" file starts on the page immediately after the "using" file, then the xref might say "see Configuring the System on the next page". If the "using" file ends up on page 5 and the "config" file ends up on page 20, then the xref might say "see Configuring the System on page 20". Since you can move topics at any time in the TOC, the {pageref} tag doesn't know what text to substitute until it builds the output and sees where the "config" file ends up in relation to the "using" file.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.