Small caps not working with Flare 6

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
JupiterJones
Propeller Head

Small caps not working with Flare 6

Post by JupiterJones »

Since upgrading to Flare 6, formatting text with "small caps" does not work anymore in my projects. Capital letters with this format are displayed in the same size as the "small capital letters" but with a margin on the right.

The format is displayed correctly if I enter NEW TEXT into a paragraph with this style - but only until I save and re-open or generate my PDF...

Does anybody have the same problem - or even better: a solution? ;-)

JJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Small caps not working with Flare 6

Post by LTinker68 »

If you open the topic in the Internal Text Editor, do you see anything different between the two lines of code? I had submitted a bug regarding small caps before, but I think it had something to do with a style with that being applied to a variable and not working. Anyway, if there was a bug associated with using that style and MadCap added a solution for it in v6, then the solution might be visible in the backend code. If it's the case, then you might be able to do a find-and-replace to change the old code with the new code.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Leslie K
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Leslie K »

I had a similar problem in Flare 5 when I capitalized the first letter in a small caps word--PDF output would sometimes break the line between the first letter and the rest of the word during word wrap. It looks similar here in that it may be considering the first letter to be a separate word--is your first letter a capital?

(Never did determine a fix unfortunately--I just made adjustments to my text, but you can't really do that in this case.)

LK
AmyColannino
Propeller Head

Post by AmyColannino »

I use small caps with an initial capital letter for most of my headings and I am having the same issue since upgrading to Flare 6 this morning. I truly hope MadCap can fix this problem.

Amy
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

AmyColannino wrote:I use small caps with an initial capital letter for most of my headings and I am having the same issue since upgrading to Flare 6 this morning. I truly hope MadCap can fix this problem.

Amy
Make sure you (and everyone one else experiencing the issue) lodges a bug report. You can use tis URL https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
JupiterJones
Propeller Head

Post by JupiterJones »

@LTinker68:
No, the source code looks fine...

I have contacted MadCap Technical Support and they have filed it as a bug.
The more people complain, the sooner it will be fixed - so please submit a report if you also experience this problem.

Until this is fixed, I will have to stick with 5.1... :cry:

JJ
dom.reed
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dom.reed »

Hi

I have just started looking at Flare v6 this morning and that was the first thing I noticed. Means I can't upgrade to v6 until it is fixed either as all our heading styles use this style.

I had a similar problem in v5 where a capital in the middle of a word (which some of our product names use) wouldn't show as a capital, although initial caps were fine. I found a workaround (a bodge I confess), but it still works in Flare v6:

In the code, you put an emptry span tag around the letter you want capitalised eg <span>H</span>ello would display HELLO correctly with the H as a slightly larger capital. This may help if you only need this feature sometimes, but unfortunately I would need to manually update many many headings so its doesn't help me.

I will now contact support as well...
Dom
JupiterJones
Propeller Head

Post by JupiterJones »

Thanks for your workaround - it works! However, just like you, I would have to update many headings manually. Furthermore, many of these headings include variables, and then things would become complicated...

Yes, please contact support and urge them to do something about it. For people using small caps a lot this is really a show stopper!

JJ
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

I'll log a bug request on this as well. I noticed the spacing problem as well.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
JupiterJones
Propeller Head

Post by JupiterJones »

MadCap's reply to my bug report:
"Our developers are still taking a look at this issue. It's been placed on top priority and we should have something available within the next month. Unfortunately I don't know when it will be finalized. I will let you know as soon as there is a patch or update available."
Let's hope there will be a patch soon!
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

have filed a bug report on this as well. I think its a small fix but still its an important bug.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

JupiterJones wrote:Thanks for your workaround - it works! However, just like you, I would have to update many headings manually. Furthermore, many of these headings include variables, and then things would become complicated...

Yes, please contact support and urge them to do something about it. For people using small caps a lot this is really a show stopper!

JJ
To everyone, i guess this is now fixed, in the Flare v6.1 release.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

forfear wrote:
JupiterJones wrote:Thanks for your workaround - it works! However, just like you, I would have to update many headings manually. Furthermore, many of these headings include variables, and then things would become complicated...

JJ
To everyone, i guess this is now fixed, in the Flare v6.1 release.
Not completely.

If you have a variable that you want to apply a small caps span to, then you're still stuffed. A bug has been reported by the nice tech support blokey I was talking to last week because it's still a bug for variables in 6.1.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
rob hollinger
Propellus Maximus

Post by rob hollinger »

ChoccieMuffin,
I just tested this and they appear to work.
I inserted a variable in a topic.
I wraped a span class around the variable.
In the span class I set the font-variant to Small Caps.
Generated PDF and it looked fine.

The issue I had was that I was unable to highlight just the variable and apply a span class to it using the UI. I inserted characters on either side, then included those in the highlight.
Applied the span, then deleted the characters. There is always inside the code also.

If Im missing something, please let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Hollinger
MadCap Software