Indexing: Importing RoboHelp to Flare

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
5Deadlyvenoms
Jr. Propeller Head

Indexing: Importing RoboHelp to Flare

Post by 5Deadlyvenoms »

Hello,

I have imported a huge RoboHelp project into Flare (HTML Help) and also spent some time polishing minor importing errors.
Now, in the CHM file, I still don't have Index entries.
Is there any way that I can implement RoboHelp index file (.hhk) into Flare (.flixl file)?

Thanks in avance!
TT
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Indexing: Importing RoboHelp to Flare

Post by Nita Beck »

Do you recall: When you first imported the RoboHelp project, did you elect to import all topics at once? That is the default setting for the Import Project Wizard. If you cleared that check box, then Flare did NOT import the index keywords.
import_project_wizard.png
This is covered in the Flare Help topic "Importing a RoboHelp Project."
7.(Optional) Select Convert all topics at once if you want Flare to immediately convert all of your topic files to XHTML.

If you remove the check mark from the box, Flare imports the topic files as they are. When you try to open an imported topic in Flare, a message asks if you want to convert it to XML. Also, if this option is not selected, Flare will not import index keywords from the source files. (emphasis added)
I hope that I'm not the bearer of bad news...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
5Deadlyvenoms
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by 5Deadlyvenoms »

Dear Nita,
I have followed instructions as described in "How to import a RoboHelp project" but still there is no Index section.
Also, I have spent last few days getting rid of eHlpDhtm.js-related automatically implemented stuff in Flare.
Thanks for your kind and quick response!
TT
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Just a shot...

I guess I'd next check how you've set up the skin. In the Skin Editor on the General tab, you've got Index selected right? Also, on the HTML Help Setup tab, how have you set up the Index Options (a separate window off the Skin Editor)? For my imported-from-RH projects, I've got Binary selected but not Include bookmarks with index entries. (I'm telling you this purely FYI.) If you play around with those settings, does that have any effect on your output?

If the skin looks OK, can you confirm whether or not there are any index entries in any of your topics? If you discover that there are no index entries in the topics, then I don't know what do suggest. I think you're out of luck. I don't know of any way, post import, for Flare to separately process a RoboHelp HHK file.

The last ditch thing I would try, assuming there are no index entries in your topics, is to create a new, separate Flare project and re-import the original RH project, trying different import options to see if you can finally yield a set of Flare files that include the index entries. Then, with both your working Flare project and the temp Flare project open (you can launch separate instances of Flare), copy and paste the index entries from topics in the temp project to the corresponding topics in the working project. I completely understand that this will be painful, but it's the only other solution I can think of.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
5Deadlyvenoms
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by 5Deadlyvenoms »

Hi Nita,

I've spent 3 hours today again and tried many different scenarios but without success.
I think the problem is that I'm using Flare 5.0.1 version that still does not support all RH8-related features.

Flare V6
From: http://www.madcapsoftware.com/assets/Fl ... wGuide.pdf
"RoboHelp 8 Import - You can now import Adobe RoboHelp 8 projects into Flare. When you import RoboHelp 8 projects,
all content is converted—including user-defined variables, conditional build tags, and other project content."

Thank you for your help!
BR,
-t-
5Deadlyvenoms
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by 5Deadlyvenoms »

Hello again,

I have just downloaded a trial version of Flare V6 and importing from RH to Flare worked just fine.
I can find now Index in the CHM output!

Thanks again for your help!
Have a nice weekend.
TT