Project:Report - Failed to open startup file: object ref ...

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Matt O
Propeller Head

Project:Report - Failed to open startup file: object ref ...

Post by Matt O »

Hi

Problem: Unable to open or add Reports - any suggestions? The details are below:

Flare v.6.1.0 - 24/06/2010
Source control - P4V - Perforce

Last Friday (01/10/10 (a very binary, on-off, day)) I ran a report successfully on some Tags I have applied to topics.
Today (08/10/10): In the Project area, I open the Reports folder, double click the report above to open, result:
"Failed to open startup file: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
If i try to create a new Report, result:
As above "Failed ..."

I have tried to ensure all relevant files are checked out (i.e. available) in Perforce.
I have closed all apps and rebooted.

I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks and regards

Matt
kmitchell
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Project:Report - Failed to open startup file: object ref ...

Post by kmitchell »

Hi there Matt,

Just an idea -- try resetting you Window Layouts ("Window" menu > "Layouts" sub-menu > "Reset Window Layouts"). Always worth a shot any time you get an "object reference"-type error.
Matt O
Propeller Head

Post by Matt O »

Hi kmitchell,

thanks for your response
- strangely, when i came in on the Monday after teh Friday posting the msg above, the problem had gone away. remains a concern asn cannot trust when might re-occur.
- amusingly, when i reset the window layouts as you seuggested above, I got the 'Object reference not ...' message though Flare does appear to have gone on to reset back to factory settings.

I shall remember your tip for future, thanks again.

Rgds

matt
GraemeA
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by GraemeA »

Hi,

I've just started to receive this error (after adding my project into source control) and can no longer run reports in Flare V7. I tried the windows reset suggestion but this hasn't worked.

Any other ideas anyone?
bsolomon
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by bsolomon »

I just had the same problem (not being able to generate reports), and MadCap Technical Support provided a solution. The problem evidently is caused by the Analyzer folder.

To correct the problem:
1. Close Flare.
2. In Explorer, navigate to the Flare project folder. There should be sub-folders such as Analyzer, Content, Output, etc.
3. Delete the Analyzer sub-folder.
4. Open Flare and open your project.

You should now be able to generate reports.
carolynmwallace
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by carolynmwallace »

Now I'm getting this error with the File Tag report. I'm also getting it when I try to update my custom variables. I'm using Flare 8.1.2 on a Windows 7 PC.

I've tried the suggestions in this thread (reset window layout, delete Analyzer folder) and they didn't work.

One thing: A week ago, I had some work done on my computer. The next time I opened Flare, I got a message that SQL Server Compact was required with a link to install it. I installed it, and I was able to work in Flare with no problems. UNTIL...I tried to run the File Tag report.

EDITED: I found a fix! I'm adding here in hopes it will help someone else. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974247
The problem was running SQL Server Compact 3.5-based application (Flare) after installing the 32-bit version of SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 Service Pack 2 on an x64 computer.