Editing topics outside editor??

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
RuthM
Jr. Propeller Head

Editing topics outside editor??

Post by RuthM »

When trying to save a topic, Flare occasionally displays a message to the effect that the topic has been updated outside of the editor with the option to reload the original document or continue with saving my changes. I have never edited any topic outside of the Flare editor but must be doing something to cause Flare to think that I am. Has anyone else seen this message? Any thoughts on what's causing it?

Thank you.

Ruth Markham
:flare:
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Editing topics outside editor??

Post by LTinker68 »

In this case the "Flare editor" could specifically be referring to the XML Editor view. If you have a topic open in the XML Editor, for example, and then also open it in the Internal Text Editor, you'll see that message if you make changes to the topic in the Internal Text Editor view then switch back to the normal XML Editor authoring view. So external to Flare might be misleading in this case, since to the Flare use the Internal Text Editor appears to be part of Flare.

At least, I think I've seen that message when I've edited in the Internal Text Editor. I don't have Flare open at the moment to test it, but since I don't edit anything outside of Flare, then I'm pretty sure I'm remembering that correctly.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

LTinker68 wrote:In this case the "Flare editor" could specifically be referring to the XML Editor view. If you have a topic open in the XML Editor, for example, and then also open it in the Internal Text Editor, you'll see that message if you make changes to the topic in the Internal Text Editor view then switch back to the normal XML Editor authoring view. So external to Flare might be misleading in this case, since to the Flare use the Internal Text Editor appears to be part of Flare.

At least, I think I've seen that message when I've edited in the Internal Text Editor. I don't have Flare open at the moment to test it, but since I don't edit anything outside of Flare, then I'm pretty sure I'm remembering that correctly.
Yep, I reckon that's right (I don't have access to Flare at the minute either).
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

I have seen exactly that before. If you have the same topic open in the text editor and the XML editor, the XML editor complains when you make a change in the text editor.

It isn't harmful, though, as long as you haven't made separate changes in both instances. (Although it would be nice if Flare would keep the two instances in sync...)
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare