Large Table Causes Flare 9 to Hang

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
servobot
Propeller Head

Large Table Causes Flare 9 to Hang

Post by servobot »

I need to make a table out of some content in an Excel file.

I saved the Excel file as CSV, and then I imported it into Dreamweaver as a table. Finally, I pasted the resulting HTML into Flare's text editor.

Now, Flare becomes unresponsive for 20-30 minutes if I do anything to the file.

Anyone else here experience problems with large tables?

Madcap support hasn't been able to offer a solution yet and I have a deadline today.

Is there a better approach to creating this table from an Excel source?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Large Table Causes Flare 9 to Hang

Post by LTinker68 »

Did you try copying-and-pasting from Excel into Flare? If not that route, then Excel to Word to Flare. I'm pretty sure I've done Word to Flare before. (Sorry, don't have Flare open at the moment to test.)

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
servobot
Propeller Head

Post by servobot »

D'oh! I didn't think of that! (KEEP IT SIMPLE SERVOBOT!)

I just tried copying/pasting directly from Excel. The paste resulted in a line per table row, wrapped in <p> tags. There were no table tags and no column separators seem to have been preserved.

Maybe pasting into Word and importing it as a project would result in something that Flare likes better.

MadCap support suffered poor performance with my file too, but not nearly as bad as mine. Where any attempt to interact with the topic on my system resulted in a hang of 15-20 minutes, theirs took 2-3.

I ran a repair on my .NET installation last night and I will try re-installing Flare today too to see if something has been corrupted.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

When you paste the content in, if you hover over the bottom right corner of the pasted content, you'll see a Paste Options popup or something like that, where you can choose to paste the content as a table, paragraphs, etc. Older versions of Flare used to pop up a screen where you could make that choice. I prefer that method, because if you're pasting a lot of content then you have to scroll a ways down to get that paste options popup. So try pasting again, but this time after pasting, select the option to paste it as a table.

And I'm saying all that from memory, so hopefully nothing is wrong in what I said.

EDIT: I just did a quick test pasting from Excel, and it did first paste it as separate paragraphs, but that paste options icon appeared in the bottom right corner, and when I clicked on it and selected Paste as Table, it properly converted it to a table. You won't have the formatting (colors, fonts, etc.) that you had in Excel, but you will have a table structure.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.