Using Flare for E-learning

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
GregStenhouse
Sr. Propeller Head

Using Flare for E-learning

Post by GregStenhouse »

I've been asked specifically if Flare produces SCORM output. I think what was being asked for, in broader terms, was if Flare could produce deliverables for E-learning, or for integration in a course management system like Moodle. I'm not really savvy when it comes to E-Learning, so any insights are welcome.

Thanks
Greg
alaltenburg
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Using Flare for E-learning

Post by alaltenburg »

It may be worth submitting a feature request. Could you not just use a webhelp and embed it into the elearning program?

Andrea
The Moon is the first milestone on the road to the stars.

— Arthur C. Clarke
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

As it stands right now, Flare does not do that - and neither does Mimic, which is really baffling. Feature request as proposed and hoping for the best. Moodle is nice, good choice!
GregStenhouse
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GregStenhouse »

alaltenburg wrote:It may be worth submitting a feature request. Could you not just use a webhelp and embed it into the elearning program?
That's what I was thinking, but I really have no idea how it would work. This was a question from our Training department, who are looking into Flare to compliment their current tools.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

SCORM is an e-Learning standard that is fairly well documented. The files have to be in a specific format and have special characteristics so that an e-Learning system like Moodle can load it up. It isn't so much of an issue for static content as Flare would provide it, but if Mimic could do drag&drop exercises, quizzes, etc. it is very important to adhere to the standard so that the system can figure out how to collect the responses, which ones are right, how to score each one, and so on. There are a few other standards, but SCORM is a popular one.
dweinbe30328
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dweinbe30328 »

Bottom line - Can a Flare project be made to be SCORM compliant? Is there a packager that can make a Flare project SCORM compliant? Thanks. 8)
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Not that I know of. Besides that, SCORM compliance would be much more interesting for Mimic than for Flare. It is also easier to accomplish for Mimic, but even for Mimic there is no such tool to my knowledge.
homerchristensen
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by homerchristensen »

This would be very much of interest for our team, too, as we're trying to consolidate and collaborate more on our training and documentation products.
It would be nice to produce at least the bulk of the text in Flare before exporting as a SCORM object. (We could get client sign-off on content and then push that content through to the ILT and OLH products as the WBT people go forward with their work.)
If we could do all of that in Mimic, fine, but Flare is our primary workhorse and we have our own proprietary SCORM-compliant LMS tool where the WBT folks can do their magic.
Thx--
homer
----
r. n. homer christensen
http://homerchristensen.com
jencasty9
Propeller Head

Post by jencasty9 »

Hi,

Does anyone know if this is possible with Flare? Or Mimic is more relevant for E-learning?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

I'd say Mimic is the better tool, but it does lack true eLearning capabilities such as workflows and branches. It all depends on what type of eLearning material you are after.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Mimic is great for training videos but does lac k the ability for quizzes or scoring. But it works great with flare.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
kmorrison
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by kmorrison »

Here's one way to make your HTML5 Flare output into a valid SCORM object. (Not a fancy SCORM object that uses all the fun SCORM features - just something that a LMS will accept.)

1. Go to https://www.adlnet.gov/adl-research/sco ... th-edition and download "Official ADL SCORM API Wrappers." Unzip the folder after it downloads and drop one of the two files into the Scripts folder in your Flare project. (Which file you use depends on the SCORM version you want to use. I chose 2004.)

2: Open your HTML5 skin. Go to the Toolbar tab, and click Edit to add custom JavaScript to the Toolbar page. Then click Load File and select the API wrapper script. (This will overwrite any custom JavaScript you've got in there, so if there's something already there, be sure to save it somewhere and paste it back in before or after the API wrapper script.)

3. To make the SCORM object register as completed/passed when it is opened, under the API wrapper script in your Toolbar JavaScript window, add:
doInitialize();
doSetValue("cmi.completion_status", "completed");
doSetValue("cmi.success_status", "passed");
doTerminate();

4. Save your changes and build your HTML5 output.

5. Package your HTML5 output using the Simple SCORM Packager: https://www.jcasolutions.com/products/ssp. Be sure to use the same SCORM version as the API wrapper file you selected in step 1.