Barebones field-level help popups (WebHelp, Flare 4.2)

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
MHP
Propeller Head

Barebones field-level help popups (WebHelp, Flare 4.2)

Post by MHP »

Hi folks

I've been tasked to produce field-level help* for a web application.
*I appreciate this may be no longer fashionable.

Some fields have a "?" button. Clicking the button has to open a popup window with documentation just for that field.

How do I tell Flare to display this in a browser window with no IE trimmings? (No toolbar, no menu, essentially mimicking an old-style popup window.)

Thanks in advance

MHP
DurtyMat
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Barebones field-level help popups (WebHelp, Flare 4.2)

Post by DurtyMat »

"It is possible to do both (although field-level help is not as common anymore as it used to be, since it is easier for users to understand the software at the screen level than at the individual field level - tab level help makes perfect sense). In order to work, your developers have to add an ID and a CSH call into the code for the element you want to link to, then you match a header and alias entry to that ID."

Stolen from KevinDAmery in this thread: http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... elp#p53381

This post talks about speeding up the process of making the CSH calls you are going to need: http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... level+help

i could be wrong, but it should just create a popup with the text specified in that bookmark. it looks like both KevinDAmery and RamonS have created FLH using Flare and the alias/header combo.
Flare: I bought it ... so that means I can break it, right?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Barebones field-level help popups (WebHelp, Flare 4.2)

Post by NorthEast »

I'm not sure what you want to do - display the help text in a popup, or display the WebHelp in a browser window?

It's possible to have a CSH link that opens the WebHelp in a browser window without the browser's menu, toolbar, etc. You'd still have the WebHelp frames though. To do that, go to the skin WebHelp Setup tab, and see the Browser settings. There is also some help there on how to use it.

If you meant just display the text in a popup window, i.e. a bit like a tool-tip that just hovers over the application, then Flare has no functionality that will do that. It's something that would require some custom script/code to create the popup window and display content from a htm file.