Error when pasting text

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
cmolen
Jr. Propeller Head

Error when pasting text

Post by cmolen »

I had copied text marked with a condition tag and pasted it into my topic in several places. As I pasted again, I received the following error:

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I tried Continue, and Flare shut down completely. Now when I try to open my project and that topic, it gives me the same error message and my topic is a blank page with a big red x. Help! How do I get my information back?

Colleen
carolynmwallace
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Error when pasting text

Post by carolynmwallace »

It's possible that your info is still in your topic, but the error is preventing you from seeing it.

Have you tried opening your topic in Notepad or another HTML editor to see if the content is still there?

Also, if the error is being caused by a broken tag or other weirdness, opening the file in another program may let you find the offending item and remove it. Sometimes the copy function misses important pieces of the XML/HTML code. This can causes errors when the incomplete item is pasted into another file.

If you have Analyzer, you can also open the project there and see if it can pinpoint the problem.
cmolen
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by cmolen »

Thanks for the suggestions Carolyn. Analyzer doesn't show anything wrong, and when I open the file in Dreamweaver the info is still there, and I can't find anything wrong with the code. My IT dept is trying to figure it out for me, but nobody is familiar with MadCap software except me, so it's slow going.
Fiscal
Propeller Head

Post by Fiscal »

I have had this same issue multiple times, but it never crosses out my topic. Sometimes it crosses out my "Spans bar", other times it does nothing, i just have to copy and paste again.

ONE time i got this error when i had a corrupted file in my project, luckily it was a small project and didn't take me long to find it (it was one of my page layouts that was linked from a global file). Flare crashed and had red x over everything when i tried to open that page layout. I simply deleted it and created a new one and hasn't terrorized my project since.

But i am still getting the error :
"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object."