cross reference to PDF in TOC/Project folder

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Tobias
Propeller Head

cross reference to PDF in TOC/Project folder

Post by Tobias »

Hello,

in my documentation project I have to add some third party pdfs to my operation manual. I included them in the TOC, which works fine.
Unfortunately it doesn`t seem to be possible to add a cross reference to a pdf file which is included in my project and TOC.
Is there a way I can create a dynamic reference to a pdf in the way of "refer to document xyz in chapter xx"?

Kind Regards
Tobias
Tobias
Propeller Head

Re: cross reference to PDF in TOC/Project folder

Post by Tobias »

Nobody here who has the same issue?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: cross reference to PDF in TOC/Project folder

Post by NorthEast »

To do this, you can add a hyperlink to a "named reference" in the PDF:
See the help: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... estination

A "named reference" is just like a bookmark in a HTML page, but you can only have a link to a named reference if the person who created the PDF included some named references (bookmarks) in the first place.

Note that you can only add a hyperlink and not a cross-reference, so the text for the link can't dynamically update to reflect a change inside that PDF, such as heading text, page number, etc.

If you link to a third-party PDF that doesn't have named references, then you can link to a page number. To do this in Flare, enter the page number in the box where you select the named destination, for example enter: page=5
The HTML looks like this:

Code: Select all

<a href="PDF.pdf#page=5">PDF.pdf</a>
Create a URL to open a PDF file at a specific page (Adobe): https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/link ... robat.html