Date in body proxy

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Dave
Jr. Propeller Head

Date in body proxy

Post by Dave »

Does anyone know if there is a way to have a \"last updated\" date automatically update in a body proxy? I know I can do it manually every time I update my help files, but was hoping to save myself a few steps.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Didn't test this, but see if this Javascript gives you want you want: http://javascript.internet.com/page-det ... dated.html. You might even be able to put it in a snippet and put the snippet in every page, but you'd have to check to see if it dynamically gives you the date the parent topic was saved or if it gives the date the snippet file was saved.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

System Date

Post by SteveS »

If you open the variables there is a second set called system.

There are date and time variables available - the time variable updated each time I previewed a topic where I used it.

Although thinking about it, this would be okay for a date and time stamp on the whole project but only work for you if you ftp changed files to your server manually.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Wouldn't that update it every time anyone viewed the topic? That's the system clock, isn't it, not the file date/time?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
danielg
Propeller Head

Post by danielg »

Here ya go, Dave. :)

<p>Last updated: <MadCap:variable name=\"System.LongDate\" />, <MadCap:variable name=\"System.LongTime\" /></p>

Cheers, and down accept any lit firecrackers from strangers...!

=dg=
...沒有容易地打破一根三倍繩子。
danielg
Propeller Head

Post by danielg »

sheesh...that's \"don't\", not \"down\" (Freudian slip...?)
...沒有容易地打破一根三倍繩子。
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re:

Post by SteveS »

LTinker68 wrote:Wouldn't that update it every time anyone viewed the topic? That's the system clock, isn't it, not the file date/time?
Hmm. You're right. Back to the drawing board.
Steve
Dave
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Dave »

Thanks everyone. It looks like Daniel's suggestion will work.
Dave
Jr. Propeller Head

Re:

Post by Dave »

SteveS wrote:
LTinker68 wrote:Wouldn't that update it every time anyone viewed the topic? That's the system clock, isn't it, not the file date/time?
Are we sure about this? This is what I ended up doing but I haven't attached it to the project yet.
danielg
Propeller Head

Re:

Post by danielg »

Dave wrote:
SteveS wrote:
Are we sure about this? This is what I ended up doing but I haven't attached it to the project yet.
Well, it's not the case, with us. Go to http://service.foxracingshox.com/, click the Dealers & Consumers button, and then click the I Agree to get to the title page of our lighter service site. You will notice the date and time stamp of the last time we ran it through the build process, NOT the current system date.

Hope this helps, cheers, =dg=
...沒有容易地打破一根三倍繩子。
NealPozner
Propeller Head

Post by NealPozner »

That is correct. The System Variables related to date update at compile time. They will not reflect the current time on the server where the output is hosted.
Neal Pozner
Madcap Software
Dave
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Dave »

Great. One more question: How do I format a system variable? I poked around help, the css file, and the edit variable screen but couldn't figure it out.
NealPozner
Propeller Head

Post by NealPozner »

Unfortunately, the system variables are not editable at this time. I have created a feature request on your behalf and added it to our database.
Neal Pozner
Madcap Software
Dave
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Dave »

Neal,

I went to Daniel G's site and it looks like he formatted it.
danielg
Propeller Head

Re:

Post by danielg »

Dave wrote:Great. One more question: How do I format a system variable? I poked around help, the css file, and the edit variable screen but couldn't figure it out.
Notice that with the snippet of code/markup I shared here, I used the <p></p> tag to structurally encase the system markup with the text. Find the paragraph tag (that's what it is) in the default.css, and have at it; it should work (and sorry if it doesn't!). While I'm here, let me just put a plug in for eventually having a comprehensive reference guide to the style functionality alone. I know, dream on...but it's great fun to just imagine having a doorstop reference for styling *anything* in Flare someday. 8)

Cheers, =dg=
...沒有容易地打破一根三倍繩子。
Dave
Jr. Propeller Head

Re:

Post by Dave »

danielg wrote:
Dave wrote:Great. One more question: How do I format a system variable? I poked around help, the css file, and the edit variable screen but couldn't figure it out.
Notice that with the snippet of code/markup I shared here, I used the <p></p> tag to structurally encase the system markup with the text. Find the paragraph tag (that's what it is) in the default.css, and have at it; it should work (and sorry if it doesn't!). While I'm here, let me just put a plug in for eventually having a comprehensive reference guide to the style functionality alone. I know, dream on...but it's great fun to just imagine having a doorstop reference for styling *anything* in Flare someday. 8)

Cheers, =dg=
Thanks Daniel. I work very little with code, but will figure it out.
danielg
Propeller Head

Post by danielg »

No worries, Dave. My start in all of this was with a consulting firm in SGML, so I was dragged kicking and screaming through a ton of legacy documentation in text editors, getting it converted into this mother ship markup language. So, it has all proven to be most advantageous for me in the long haul. I use both the text and WYSIWYG editors, managing to really homogenized (sanitize?) this formerly RoboHelp-authored service Web site into something a bit more presentable. When something weird shows up, I right away get 'under the hood' to look at the markup code; it usually ends up being some legacy RH crap attribute assignments for the sake of formatting (which overrides the default.css). So, e.g., if it happens to be a <p style=\"yadayadayada\" etc. etc. >, I clobber that with a <p> open tag only, and let the style sheet take precedence over the formatting. Better practice stuff; you gain greater consistency in 'look & feel', for starters.

Anyway, keep having fun with it all, and we'll connect again down the line.

Cheers always, =dg=
...沒有容易地打破一根三倍繩子。
NealPozner
Propeller Head

Post by NealPozner »

Apologies, I became confused by what you meant by formatting. For example, the LongDate system Variable will display the date as \"Friday, July 6, 2007\", and the ShortDate variable will display as \"7/6/2007\". This syntax can be customized in the Windows Language and Regional Settings control panel, which is where Flare gets it from, but not in Flare itself.
Neal Pozner
Madcap Software
danielg
Propeller Head

Post by danielg »

...and I was only thinking fonts and point sizing; doh. :roll:
...沒有容易地打破一根三倍繩子。
egag21
Propeller Head

Re: Date in body proxy

Post by egag21 »

I also wanted to datestamp my topics, and found the system variable on my own. My problem with this solution is that every time you rebuild ALL of the topics are stamped with the same date. I would rather it be stamped with the last time I edited the topic and not the last time I built the system. This would be much more useful. I'll start another thread for this, but thought I'd add it here first.
Boone
Propeller Head

Post by Boone »

I am trying to put a date system variable in one of my Master Page footers, but am not having success and think I must be missing something. I think I need to add a new variable to my project that uses the date system variable? Then insert this new variable into my Master Page footer? I've not been able to find the exact format I should use fo r the date system variable. I've searched Flare Help and the User's forum with no luck. Help!
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

The system variables aren't in your Variables folder - they're generated automatically. If you open your master page and choose Insert > Variable, you should see System as one of the groupings in the left column. Here is where you will find dates and other similar variables.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
Boone
Propeller Head

Post by Boone »

:oops: If it was a snake it would have bitten me. Thanks...
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by SteveS »

Boone wrote::oops: If it was a snake it would have bitten me. Thanks...
Nothin' wrong with that - than you'd have to administer snake bite cure. Jack Daniels seems to work well... :D
Steve
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

SteveS wrote:
Boone wrote::oops: If it was a snake it would have bitten me. Thanks...
Nothin' wrong with that - than you'd have to administer snake bite cure. Jack Daniels seems to work well... :D
I'm surprised you don't have an Aussie equivalent :mrgreen: Or is it just that snakes can't handle JD? :twisted:
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare