There must be an easier way...

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
sbraun
Propeller Head

There must be an easier way...

Post by sbraun »

I have an old help system in html files. I want to move it into flare and edit it. HOWEVER:
  • Convert to XML wizard doesn't automatically appear when I try to add one of these topics through the content explorer rtclick "add new topic"
  • Where is the "Run Convert to XML Wizard on this entire directory" feature????
This is a simple task made difficult. Please help.
:roll:
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: There must be an easier way...

Post by RamonS »

As far as I know the HTML to XHTML conversion only occurs when opening the topics. Unless it was recently added I am not aware of a mass conversion option. If there is indeed none feel free to request that feature here: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

It's one of those tasks that's almost too simple. All you have to do is copy the HTML files into your Flare project's folder structure and open them so that Flare can convert them to XML. After that, add them to a TOC etc. as normal.

The Add New Topic function isn't for importing HTML files, it's for creating a brand spanking new topic.

Also, you don't have to convert an HTML file in order to use it, so if you have files in your existing system that don't need to be modified, you can just link to them in the TOC or though href or xref links and build your output. If you ever do need to make a change, Flare will convert the file the first time you open it in Flare's XML editor.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
ClvrWrtr
Propeller Head

Post by ClvrWrtr »

That was exactly what happened to me. I tried doing it the way they said to in the guide, but copying the .html file and pasting it into the folder works like a dream! Very good for on-going projects..!