Any way to Streamline Folder Structure?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
ClvrWrtr
Propeller Head

Any way to Streamline Folder Structure?

Post by ClvrWrtr »

Hi all!
We're finally converting from RoboHelp v3, and I was hoping to maintain our current file structure. I've noticed, however, that Flare has a lot of folders! Ideally, one folder would contain the Flare project file, the contents of the Content folder, and one Output folder that contains the different versions of .chms and .pdfs.

Sadly, I've found that when I try deleting a folder (such as Analyzer or Temporary) Flare will either not work or will reload them anyway. Is there any way to streamline the folder structure/delete unnecessary components/layers? There are currently many empty/unnecessary folders that it would require us to completely change our file structure.

Please Help!
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Any way to Streamline Folder Structure?

Post by KevinDAmery »

I'm not really sure what the problem is with the analyzer or temp folders, since they're only for Flare's use. You don't have to reference them in any of your content, and you don't have to include them in your final output - they're basically just for Flare's internal house keeping.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
ClvrWrtr
Propeller Head

Post by ClvrWrtr »

Hi Kevin,
I realize it is fine to keep them if they're needed, but I feel like it's cluttered. What of the other folders? For example, when I want to reach my chms, I have to click Output | <user name> and then select the folder in which the particular .chm resides. Is there any way to remove those folders, and put the .chms directly into the main folder?

ps.
Thanks for the prompt reply! I wasn't expecting one so quickly!
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

Simplest way is to change the location to which the target builds. If you open the target, on the Basic tab you will see a field Output Folder. Click the ellipsis (...) to the right of that field, select the location you'd like to build to, and click OK. That should do the trick.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Andrew wrote:Simplest way is to change the location to which the target builds. If you open the target, on the Basic tab you will see a field Output Folder. Click the ellipsis (...) to the right of that field, select the location you'd like to build to, and click OK. That should do the trick.
Well, not really. Flare will still add a user name and target type folder below that, which seems to be the OP's objection.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
ClvrWrtr
Propeller Head

Post by ClvrWrtr »

So then, basically, the file structure cannot be changed?
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

KevinDAmery wrote:Well, not really. Flare will still add a user name and target type folder below that, which seems to be the OP's objection.
I responding to the issue of how to make it easier to reach her CHMs, rather than the folder removing issue.

No, ClvrWrt, there's no way to change the underlying folder structure.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

But make sure you submit a feature request at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx. There have been many who have complained (at least in the forums) about the output being under a folder named after the user. But MadCap's stance is that the more people who submit bug reports/feature requests through their official form (listed above), the sooner they'll change the behavior.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
ClvrWrtr
Propeller Head

Post by ClvrWrtr »

Yeah, I'll definitely do that. Thanks for all of your help, everyone! :D
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

ClvrWrtr wrote:Hi Kevin,
I realize it is fine to keep them if they're needed, but I feel like it's cluttered. What of the other folders? For example, when I want to reach my chms, I have to click Output | <user name> and then select the folder in which the particular .chm resides. Is there any way to remove those folders, and put the .chms directly into the main folder?

ps.
Thanks for the prompt reply! I wasn't expecting one so quickly!
Hi ClvrWrtr,

Welcome to the forums!

Just in case you stipulate the 'main' folder as the destination for your target, be warned!

Flare will add everything from the content folders to a build unless you use a conditional tag to omit it. Some of the 'young players' have created a bit of a nightmare for themselves by trying to build ion the main file structure and then creating a loop the next time they build because the target tries to include an earlier version of itself.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.