CSH and excluding them from the search results

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
tylerc
Propeller Head

CSH and excluding them from the search results

Post by tylerc »

I am adding context sensitive help for the first time and would like to keep the topics out of the search results. I have tried applying a condition tag but it excluded the content from being displayed completly, not just from the search. (nice try anyway :)

My output target is HTMLHelp and my Flare version is 3.0.1.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Ty
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: CSH and excluding them from the search results

Post by LTinker68 »

In the Topic Properties screen for the topic, you can select the option to not include the topic in searches.

EDIT: I don't remember if that option was available in Flare v3, but hopefully it was.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
tylerc
Propeller Head

Post by tylerc »

The Flare version 3.0.1 topic properties have that option but a note below it states that it is only for DotNet Help, WebHelp and WebHelp Plus.

Do you know if a newer version allow this option for HTMLHelp?
Thanks!
Ty
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I don't have Flare open at the moment, but I doubt it. That's probably a feature that's not supported in HTML Help since that's an old viewer and no longer being updated by Microsoft.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

tylerc wrote:Do you know if a newer version allow this option for HTMLHelp?
It's still not available for HTML help in v4.2.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

tylerc,
just upgrade Flare 3.0.1 to Flare 3.1 i think. you should have access to that i think.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
Pete Lees
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Pete Lees »

The HTML Help compiler parses all source files whose names contain the characters ".h" for full-text search information. So, there are really only two ways to prevent individual source files from showing up in the results of a search:
  • Change the file name extensions to something other than .htm, such as .xhtm.
  • Compile the files into a separate .chm file in which you've turned off the full-text search function.
Obviously, neither solution is ideal...

Pete
tylerc
Propeller Head

Post by tylerc »

This looks like a workaround I'd like to try but I am having trouble with the CSH topic displaying correctly.
Pete Lees wrote:The HTML Help compiler parses all source files whose names contain the characters ".h" for full-text search information. So, there are really only two ways to prevent individual source files from showing up in the results of a search:
  • Change the file name extensions to something other than .htm, such as .xhtm.
After renaming a file to .xhtm or .dhtml and recompiling, I am having trouble with the page display inside the viewer when testing on XP. (I haven't tried any other OS.) With the app running, I select the question mark and then click on the control, then the code for the page is displayed instead of displaying just the CSH text.

Is there something I should be adding to the file before compiling to make it work with Flares' schema?
Thanks!
Ty