Search hits and search hit colour

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
Gary Niemen
Sr. Propeller Head

Search hits and search hit colour

Post by Gary Niemen »

1) I have noticed that if I search for something in HTML Help (say, "blue") and then search for something else (say, "red") - if there are hits on a topic for "red" that was also hit for the previous search for "blue", the "blue" hits remain highlighed - even though the current search is on "red". Has anybody noticed this? Anybody know what is going on?
2) Not a major one this - but the default highlighting colour in HTML Help obscures our hyperlink colour. So if there is a hit on a hyperlink, you can't really tell that it is a hyperlink. I am not sure changing the hyperlink colour will help, as the default highlighting colour in HTML Help is quite dark. So, my question would be - is there any way to lighten the hit highlighting colour in HTML Help.
Pete Lees
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Search hits and search hit colour

Post by Pete Lees »

Hi, Gary,

Do you have "Search previous results" selected when you search for the second word ("red")? If so, the behaviour that you've described is the standard behaviour; the HTML Help viewer highlights the results of both searches.

On the second question, you can only change the highlighting colour in HTML Help by changing the system-wide colour settings in Windows itself. Obviously, this isn't something that you can effect on all your users' computers.

For what it's worth, the procedure in Windows XP is as follows:
  1. Right-click the Windows desktop, and then click Properties.
  2. On the Appearance tab, click Advanced.
  3. In the Item dropdown list, click Selected items.
  4. Select a new colour, and then click OK.
Pete
Gary Niemen
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Search hits and search hit colour

Post by Gary Niemen »

Good stuff Pete, thanks.