Keep lines together and Keep with Next

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Keep lines together and Keep with Next

Post by Techno »

Flare 12, and likely it may be my lack of print/type setting language here.

In Word there are two valuable features which I'm struggling to find the equivalent of in Flare.

The first is a Style setting - "Keep Lines Together". It simply prevents any one paragraph being split over 2 pages.

The second is "Keep with next" which can be applied to Styles to ensure that whatever follows a Style, will be treated as one block which again will not be spilt over 2 pages.

Ha anyone got any advice please?
George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd., U.K.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Keep lines together and Keep with Next

Post by Nita Beck »

Generally speaking, the CSS attributes you are interested in are page-break-before, page-break-inside, and page-break-after. (Depending on your page layout, you might also need to set frame break and column break attributes, too.)

The equivalent of "Keep With Next" would be "page-break-after: avoid".

The equivalent of "Keep Lines Together" would be "page-break-inside: avoid".

So say you have an h1 style that you never want a page break after, you'd add the attribute "page-break-after: avoid" to its definition. (Notice that you'd can't specify "never".) Sometimes, even with this attribute set this way, you might still see said h1 not "keeping with" the next paragraph. What I do in that case is to have a style in which I've set "page-break-before: avoid" and apply it to the next paragraph. (TIP: You might be able to use generic classes that you call ".KeepWithNext" in which you set the page-break-after to avoid and ".KeepWithPrior" in which you set the page-break-before to avoid. Then you can apply the generic styles to headings, paragraphs, list items...)

BTW, you don't have to define these attributes in styles if you don't want to (although I recommend that approach). You could do it "inline" by opening the Paragraph dialog for a given paragraph (or heading or list item, etc.) and set breaks on the Breaks tab.

Another approach to ensure that paragraphs really do stay together is to put them in a div which is set with "page-break-inside: avoid".

Even if you use all of these strategies, you may still encounter bad page breaks. I've had some that I've twiddled and twiddled with and STILL just can't force a paragraph to stay with the next paragraph. For these situations, I resort to a feature that was added in Flare 12 (I think it was) that allows one to insert the equivalent of Word's manual page break. It's a new type of proxy, although I don't recall exactly what it's called. (I don't have access to Flare at the moment.)

I hope I've given you enough to get started with.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Techno »

Many thanks indeed for the fast reply, Nita. You have saved my sanity. I now suspect I have a few cases where, like you, I need to "twiddle".
George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd., U.K.
DahcNosserb
Propeller Head

Post by DahcNosserb »

I would appreciate some help with page break frustration over here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29539&p=129142#p129142

Into my second week trying to fix it and still scratching my head.

Thanks.
Jess77
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Jess77 »

Thanks for the great answer!
Jessica N.
Certified MadCap Advanced Developer for Flare