PDF output not 508 Compliant

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
TBallad
Propeller Head

PDF output not 508 Compliant

Post by TBallad »

I'm looking at a 508 compliance check for my PDF targets, and they're failing. It looks like one of the major problems is that Flare is turning every letter into an individual separate text element, so the compliance tool expects every single letter/character in my document to be tagged.

Admittedly, I'm new to 508 compliance, so I'm hoping that I just missed something blatantly obvious, but it seems odd to me that Flare would handle text this way. Anybody have any insight or suggestions on how to fix this? I've dug through the Flare accessibility guide, and came up with nothing.
TBallad
Propeller Head

Re: PDF output not 508 Compliant

Post by TBallad »

Update:
Went through the settings on my target and clicked "Generate tagged PDF" which at least got rid of the errors in the compliance checker (not certain if it actually solved the problem or just put a bandaid on it), but my PDF is still showing up as "corrupted" with the error message "Error while parsing the PDF document (Operator 'rg' not allowed in this current state)"

Anybody have a clue what that means?
AJLA_TS
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by AJLA_TS »

I'm having problems too with making my PDF output compliant. When I run the PDF through Adobe Acrobat's accessibility check, the accessibility report says "Expected a dict object." When I downloaded and ran the PDF through Pac 2 (http://www.access-for-all.ch/en/pdf-lab ... g-pac.html), a checker recommended by 508, it failed for error in syntax/not being parsable. I'm at a loss for what to do. I created the PDF output as an alternate accessible format because I couldn't control all aspects of the HTML accessibility, like ARIA controls and skip to navigation. Now it seems like neither are getting the job done.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Do you know if Word can generate 508 compliant output? No that it is a great solution, but you could generate Word output from Flare and then generate PDF from Word.
TBallad
Propeller Head

Post by TBallad »

I'm trying to avoid Word - Flare is notoriously bad at producing Word outputs. At least in my experience, they came out pretty mangled. I have been finding that Adobe Acrobat Pro has several accessibility features that fix some of the compliance issues in the PDFs Flare produces.
TBallad
Propeller Head

Post by TBallad »

Update:
I've run my Flare-produced PDFs through Adobe Acrobat Pro's autotagger feature, and that's cleaned up a lot of the errors. The big one I'm running into next is alt text on images. I've set up alt text on an image, both in the Flare topic and in Capture, but somewhere between Flare and Adobe it's getting lost. When I output to an HTML target, the alt text is still there, for what that's worth. It must be something in the PDF converter.