Page numbers have disappeared

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
MaggieA4
Propeller Head

Page numbers have disappeared

Post by MaggieA4 »

I recently noticed that I no longer am seeing page numbers in my PDF output. Nothing has changed as far as my Page Layouts or any other settings. I've double-checked everything and have even re-inserted the page number variable into my footers. Still nothing.

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Attached is an image of what the bottom of my Right page layout looks like. Same for Left page but swapped.
page_layout_frame.PNG
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Page numbers have disappeared

Post by Cecily »

Bumping this, as I have exactly the same problem of page numbers from the Page Layout not showing in PDF output. I'm using Flare 2017 r3 and Windows 10.

I even have another page layout that looks almost identical (different paper size), for which the page numbers DO appear.

Any suggestions as to what to investigate and do so that page numbers work?
"Books are a narcotic." (Franz Kafka)
I wonder what he'd say about help files?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I would suspect that, because of padding or margins in the style used for the page footer, there is not enough room in the footer frame to contain the page number, despite appearances. What happens if you make the footer frame slightly taller?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

Thanks, Nita. I tried moving the bottom of the body frame and the top of the footer frame further up the page, and then increasing the padding below the footer text. No difference.

I have looked at a very similar page layout that does work, and see no obvious difference, other than the paper size.

I've come back to Flare after a four-year absence, and never used printed outputs to a significant extent back then, so I may be missing something really basic and obvious.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I notice that one of them is in a frame called "Footer" and the other is in a frame called "Decoration". I suggest you remove the "Decoration" frame, make the "Footer" frame extend across the page and put a table in there instead. Should work fine then.

(Though if it used to work and no longer does, I have no explanation!)
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

Thanks, Choccie. That's true of the picture in the original post, but not for me. I have just two frames: body and footer. The footer frame has
[Sytem.PageNumber] [Other.company]
Both of which work as expected on a very similar page layout that is for a smaller paper size.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Try doing a text comparison between the two page layouts and see if you can spot the differences. That might give you a hint.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I still suspect margin and/or padding. It could be for the td (row) in your footer table. It could be for the paragraph block (assuming they're present) within the cells of the row. If you temporarily adjust the margins and/or padding of the content, making making all the settings 0, does that help? If so, you can either leave that inline formatting (who's going to care if it gets you the page numbers?) or adjust applicable CSS in your stylesheet.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:Try doing a text comparison between the two page layouts and see if you can spot the differences. That might give you a hint.
Thanks, but I can't see any difference. (I added the footer to the new page layout by copying from the one that worked.)
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

Nita Beck wrote:I still suspect margin and/or padding. It could be for the td (row) in your footer table. It could be for the paragraph block (assuming they're present) within the cells of the row. If you temporarily adjust the margins and/or padding of the content, making making all the settings 0, does that help? If so, you can either leave that inline formatting (who's going to care if it gets you the page numbers?) or adjust applicable CSS in your stylesheet.
Sounds plausible, but when I moved the frames far up the page, with lots more padding below the paragraph containing the page number, the footer still didn't show up in the PDF. However, I don't fully understand the implications and differences of all the terms you mention. Thank you so much for your help, but I think I may have to bundle it up and send to support.
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

I have a fix from Support. The page layout was fine, but the TOC didn't know it needed to use it. And it would have taken me a very long time to figure out what I hadn't set.

I needed to select first proper topic > Properties > Print Output.
Then select:
Break Type = Chapter Break
pick the Page Layout
and define Page Type

Like this (though for my document, the Page Type needed to be Right. After that, they alternated, as they should).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.