Background-color in body dictates color in pg layout?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.

Background-color in body dictates color in pg layout?

Postby kel322 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:57 pm

I'm wondering if anyone else come across this and if there is a logical explanation. Otherwise, is this a bug?

I made a change in my stylesheet to give my body element a background color. I built my PDF target, and the background-color that I defined in my css body element overrides the color that I defined in my page layout file in a decoration frame. I can easily set my background-color in the print portion of my stylesheet to be empty and not have this issue, but this doesn't seem like the correct behavior. I thought that the page layout style would take precedence. Any thoughts or explanations?

I attached a screenshot that shows the properties of the decoration frame set to blue but displaying as purple (which is what I have the background set to in my stylesheet -- for demonstration). When I build the PDF, it also displays this way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kel322
Propeller Head

Re: Background-color in body dictates color in pg layout?

Postby Nita Beck on Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:24 am

I would think that this is as-designed behavior. The styling that is "closest" to content will take precedence, so I think the background of the body is going to override the background of the decoration frame. In my own design practice, I don't ever set a background color on the body in the medium I use for print output. Typically I set background colors on things like table cells, notifications (notes, cautions, etc.), but not on the whole body.
Nita
Content Strategist / Information Architect / Flare Consultant: http://beck-communications.com
Manager, Rochester Flare User Group: http://www.facebook.com/RochesterFlareUserGroup
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Background-color in body dictates color in pg layout?

Postby kel322 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:51 am

Thank you for your reply, Nita.

I typically don't set a background color for print output either. It originally came up because I changed the background color for the online output and it carried over to the print medium.

I understand that the styling that is the closest to the element takes precedence. I guess I was thinking that the style of the decoration frame was closer to the element than the body style.
kel322
Propeller Head

Return to Printed Documentation Targets