failed to compile document '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is a

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.

failed to compile document '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is a

Postby netwrk219 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:02 am

Complete error is: failed to compile document '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1.

It's happening on a project I was trying to preview. Also happens when I build. There is no other error and I can't access the build log. I have cleaned the project, still no help. I am dead in the water.

I tried searching for this error on this site and nothing comes up.

Any help is appreciated.
Keith S.

“Most of us find our own voices only after we’ve sounded like a lot of other people.” –Neil Gaiman
User avatar
netwrk219
Propeller Head
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:58 am
Location: Fort Mill, SC

Re: failed to compile document '.', hexadecimal value 0x00,

Postby ChoccieMuffin on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:22 am

The first thing is to identify the file that's causing the problem. In the build window, select the failed build and click Open Build Log. Then look at the Messages tab and see what was the last file mentioned before the build failed.

If you can't open the build log from within Flare (which is rather odd), in Windows Explorer open the Outputs folder and see if you can see a .mclog file in there, then open it in a text editor.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2018.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
ChoccieMuffin
Propellus Maximus
 
Posts: 1857
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:01 am

Re: failed to compile document '.', hexadecimal value 0x00,

Postby netwrk219 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:07 am

ChoccieMuffin wrote:The first thing is to identify the file that's causing the problem. In the build window, select the failed build and click Open Build Log. Then look at the Messages tab and see what was the last file mentioned before the build failed.

If you can't open the build log from within Flare (which is rather odd), in Windows Explorer open the Outputs folder and see if you can see a .mclog file in there, then open it in a text editor.


I couldn't access the log because I wasn't building, just trying to preview. The error does occur when I try to build, so I did that and accessed the log. Below is the information that was there.
Build log.PNG


It failed while gathering Auto-Index information. I don't see any help there.

Info that may help:
I work on a mac, using virtual box and a windows 7 install
I had to move my files from the mac due to limited HDD space, so they now reside on an external drive.
It seems to happen in multiple projects, even ones that previewed and build fine previously.

I appreciate all of your time and assistance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith S.

“Most of us find our own voices only after we’ve sounded like a lot of other people.” –Neil Gaiman
User avatar
netwrk219
Propeller Head
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:58 am
Location: Fort Mill, SC

Re: failed to compile document '.', hexadecimal value 0x00,

Postby Psider on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:16 pm

So I found a bunch of threads suggesting that 0x00 represents NULL which is an invalid character in XML. I also found one that said it can be encoded in XML as
Code: Select all
�


So potentially you could use a text editor to search all project files for that character combination. (The whole topic of the null character looks like a giant rabbit hole, FYI...)
Psider
Sr. Propeller Head
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:32 am

Re: failed to compile document '.', hexadecimal value 0x00,

Postby dhvied on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:26 pm

I had a similar error while trying to import FrameMaker files, although it was not null, but another character in the control character area. The log refused to save. I narrowed it down to the files which were causing the error, but was not able to find and delete the character. I subsequently found an entire book that did import; I considered I had enough to make a template, so I stopped looking for the error. I would still like to resolve it. Tech support was able to import the book by eliminating the .book file, but that sort of defeats the proper way to import FrameMaker files. I am a new user, so someday, (when I grow up), maybe I'll be able to figure it out.
dhvied
Jr. Propeller Head
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:07 pm


Return to Printed Documentation Targets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests