Auto-numbering and Appendices

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.

Auto-numbering and Appendices

Postby Paul Griffiths on Wed May 22, 2013 4:02 am

I need to set up autonumbering so that I get headings numbered as follows:

Appendix A (for H1)
A.1 (for H2)
A.2
A.2.1 (for H3)
A.2.2
A.3

Appendix B
B.1
B.2
B.3

etc, etc.

I'm sure this should be straightforward. Can anyone help?
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Auto-numbering and Appendices

Postby Nita Beck on Wed May 22, 2013 5:19 am

You'll need only to set up one heading style, for the h1, using the {chapnum} autonumber. Here's what mine looks like:
Code: Select all
h1.Appendix
{
   mc-auto-number-format: 'Appendix {chapnum}. ';
}

Then, for the TOC item for the first appendix, on the (TOC) Properties window's Auto-numbers tab under Chapter Number, reset to 1 and use the format of ALPHA (A,B,C).

For the other appendixes' TOC items, do the same, except don't reset to 1 but instead increment the number.

You won't need to have any special h2s and h3s, assuming that the current h2s and h3s you have are picking up the {chapnum}. They will pick up the appendix letter.

HTH. Post back if this is not enough details for you.
Nita
Content Strategist / Information Architect / Flare Consultant: http://beck-communications.com
Manager, Rochester Flare User Group: http://www.facebook.com/RochesterFlareUserGroup
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Postby Paul Griffiths on Wed May 22, 2013 5:33 am

Thanks Nita. I had hoped I could do this in a similar way to my normal section numbering (see below), but my current attempts are not working so I may have to resort to chapnum after all.

h1
   {
      mc-auto-number-format: 'A:Section {Gn+}:{ =0} ';
   }

h2
   {
      mc-auto-number-format: 'A:{Gn}.{Gn+} ';
   }

h3
   {
      mc-auto-number-format: 'A:{Gn}.{Gn}.{Gn+} ';
   }

h4
   {
      mc-auto-number-format: 'A:{Gn}.{Gn}.{Gn}.{Gn+} ';
   }

body.appendix h1
   {
      mc-auto-number-format: 'O:Appendix {A+}:{ =0} ';
   }

body.appendix h2
   {
      mc-auto-number-format: 'O:{A}.{n+} ';
   }

body.appendix h3
   {
      mc-auto-number-format: 'O:{A}.{n}.{n+} ';
   }   
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Postby LTinker68 on Wed May 22, 2013 7:34 am

body.appendix wouldn't do anything unless you're actually applying a class called "appendix" to the body tag in the topic, which also wouldn't work, because it would get stripped out at build time and replaced with the body tag from the masterpage. Unless you've added a second masterpage and added the appendix class to the body tag in that masterpage and specified that masterpage for the appendix topics. Not sure if that would work or not.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Postby tomthemoth on Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:41 am

Nita Beck wrote:You'll need only to set up one heading style, for the h1, using the {chapnum} autonumber. Here's what mine looks like:
h1.Appendix
{
   mc-auto-number-format: 'Appendix {chapnum}. ';
}

Then, for the TOC item for the first appendix, on the (TOC) Properties window's Auto-numbers tab under Chapter Number, reset to 1 and use the format of ALPHA (A,B,C).

For the other appendixes' TOC items, do the same, except don't reset to 1 but instead increment the number.

You won't need to have any special h2s and h3s, assuming that the current h2s and h3s you have are picking up the {chapnum}. They will pick up the appendix letter.

HTH. Post back if this is not enough details for you.

Nita- I have run across many of your posts in hunting for solutions to MCF questions as I work to learn the software. This one was so succinct and clear, I thought I'd just take the opportunity to say "thanks."

Set this problem (lettered Appendices) aside last week because it was driving me crazy; started fresh today and after finding your post had it square in less than 5 minutes. Thanks again.
tomthemoth
Jr. Propeller Head

Postby Nita Beck on Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:58 am

Thanks for that feedback, Tom. So glad that I could help, even 7 years after my post!
Nita
Content Strategist / Information Architect / Flare Consultant: http://beck-communications.com
Manager, Rochester Flare User Group: http://www.facebook.com/RochesterFlareUserGroup
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Return to Printed Documentation Targets