Entry in PDF bookmarks pane vs in TOC

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Louise Bennett
Propeller Head

Entry in PDF bookmarks pane vs in TOC

Post by Louise Bennett »

Hi all,

I am wondering whether there is a way to make a heading appear in the bookmarks pane but not in the Table of contents for the PDF.
For example, the heading Contents - I want that to appear in the bookmarks pane so that people can navigate easily back to the PDF's Table of contents, but within the table of contents itself I don't want the heading "Contents" to appear.

I have tried the following:
1. Applied a H1.Notoc style (mc-heading-level=0) which hides the Contents heading from both the Table of contents and the Boookmarks pane. This is expected behavior.
2. Inserted a bookmark for the H1.Notoc in the Contents topic and then selected the "Include non-TOC bookmarks in the bookmarks pane" option in the target. The PDF exhibits the same behavior for 1 - the contents heading is hidden in both places. This seems to me to be not working as I would expect it to. I expected the Contents heading to appear in the bookmarks pane but not in the Table of contents itself.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks, Louise.
Corinna
Propeller Head

Re: Entry in PDF bookmarks pane vs in TOC

Post by Corinna »

This is an old topic, but it's still relevant. I was looking for a solution to this problem, but it seems there's no standard option to define which mc-heading-level will have a PDF bookmark and which not.

I have, however, found a workaround to achieve this involving the following steps:

HTML:
1.) Apply an ID specific to the heading that you want to display in your PDF bookmarks but not your TOC. (e. g. "h1#notoc")
NOTE: It seems that using classes or headings that are not in correct order doesn't work as intended, so make sure to use an ID.

Code: Select all

<h1 id="notoc">Table of Contents</h1>
CSS:
2.) Set the mc-heading-level of the ID to a level that will not be used in your TOC. (e. g. "7")
(Optional: If required, set further styles such as color or font-size in case they are different from its inherited heading styles.)
3.) Make the TOC entry style of the heading level as invisible as possible. (e. g. p.TOC7 {color: transparent; font-size:1pt;})
NOTE: display:none or visibility:hidden don't work. Moving the particular TOC entry out of the page frame as is sometimes done in online layouts won't work either, so there isn't much left to help with the "disappearing act".

Code: Select all

#notoc {	
	mc-heading-level: 7;	
}

p.TOC7 {
	color:transparent;	
	font-size:1pt;	
	margin-left:455pt;
}

It's not the most elegant solution as the entry is technically still there and the cursor still indicates the link, but it's subtle enough to not cause too much confusion. I am not sure whether it causes accessibility issues.

More on the styling of print TOCs can be found in the Flare online help: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... t-TOC1.htm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.