Colors not correct in PDF output when printed

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
SRank
Jr. Propeller Head

Colors not correct in PDF output when printed

Post by SRank »

Colors not correct in PDF output when printed - on screen it is as determined in the .CSS.
And the really weird part is, that if printing a document - with one topic with H2s using the same .css - these can appear with different colors when printed. The same goes for the call outs in an image created with Capture... The colors of these are not correct in the printed PDF, only when opening PDF in Adobe Reader.

RGB colors to CMYK are not set on my targets and the Online PDF contains the correct colors. When I had to send one of the guides to the professional printer, I had to check this option to get colors correct in printed version - but then the colors were incorrect if just opening the PDF in a browser. But normally, should it not just be possible to use the same generated PDF for both browser and print? And if customers decide to print the PDF, then colors will be wrong :confused:.

During my investigation, I noticed, that a table style (defined in .css and not using local changes) used in two different topics - but in the same target - came out with different colors; one correct, one incorrect - and in the incorrect one, also the color for H2 in that topic was wrong! And that is where I stop smiling - because then I do not get it...

And in another target, the changes of colors occurs within the same topic...(the target is printed on both sides on one peace of paper - and colors on first page is incorrect, colors on second page is correct. Also, another of my table styles - that has the same color definition in Head as the rest of my tables shows wrong colors regardless of use/target.

I started reading about Adobe Reader - if it was some setting in here that needed to be changed - I use Windows 10 and do not know if this could affect anything? Also I tried to set Color Management to "Print as Image" when sending my document to print... but as some of the colors/H2s and table heads print correctly in some topics and others not - then I really do not know how to solve this, so any input is of big value to me and much appreciated.
SRank
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Colors not correct in PDF output when printed

Post by SRank »

No one has experienced this?
Cecily
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Cecily »

I just had this. In my case, I'd defined the colors using hex values in the color picker. They looked fine in Flare's editor, but not the PDF.

I found a setting to fix it:

1. Open target in editor.
2. View PDF Options tab.
3. About half way down is a field, "Convert RGB Colors to CMYK".
4. If that's checked, uncheck it, save, build, and view.

Now I just need to figure out how to fix the same issue in the HTML5 target.
"Books are a narcotic." (Franz Kafka)
I wonder what he'd say about help files?
CatVancouver
Propeller Head

Post by CatVancouver »

I've also repeatedly had this problem with my pdf outputs - the colors are correct in the web output but really off in the pdf. Thanks! I unchecked the Convert RG colors to CMYK in the pdf output and it's working!