Apply page layout without including a page break

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
itsjustmyron
Jr. Propeller Head

Apply page layout without including a page break

Post by itsjustmyron »

I'm trying to create a PDF with a continuous layout but I also want to apply my page layouts for chapters and pages. The only way to apply layout templates to pages is to use Chapter or Page Layout breaks, which introduce new page breaks. Does anyone know of a workaround for this—or if it's possible to prevent page breaks for Chapter/Layout breaks?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Apply page layout without including a page break

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums. :)

It's a bit unclear to me just what you're trying to accomplish, but I'll key on your use of "continuous" with regard to a PDF.

If you mean that you want the PDF, when viewed, to have its page display already be set to a "continuous" option, that's something you can set in the target in Flare. Open the target and go to the PDF Options tab, then under Initial View, select the desired Page Layout option. (Don't confuse this use of the term "Page Layout" with a Flare page layout file, which, as you say, you can use to set chapter and page breaks on TOC items. This "Page Layout" here refers to the PDF reader's page display/layout.)

For more on setting PDF options, see https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... ptions.htm.

I hope this helps.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

So what are your other page layouts for?

You can probably do what you're describing using one page layout.
The page layout file can contain different page types, e.g. a first page type for the chapter's opening page, then left/right/normal page types for the regular content, and an empty page type for blank pages.

Then in your TOC, you'd set a Chapter layout break for the start of each chapter, so the content starts with the first page type then carries on to the left/right/normal page types.
itsjustmyron
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by itsjustmyron »

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have managed achieve what I need now with one page layout and no page layouts. In a previous implementation of Flare I had a "Chapter" layout with a mini toc and then applied a page layout to sub-topics if I wanted them to have 2-columns or other customization and I was fine with the new page breaks.