Multiple H1s in a topic but not incrementing

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
AngieP
Jr. Propeller Head

Multiple H1s in a topic but not incrementing

Post by AngieP »

I have two H1 headings in one topic but they aren't incrementing - both are numbered 1. When I generate the PDF output the two H1 headings do show up in the TOC but don't increment in either the topic or TOC - both still numbered 1. My H2s and H3s increment fine so I'm stumped!
Autonumber format I've used in my Print medium is: H1 - CH:{chapnum}, H2 - CH:{chapnum}.{n+}, H3 - CH:{chapnum}.{n}.{n+}
I have my PDF target set to "Use TOC depth for heading levels" and that works fine. What am I missing?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Multiple H1s in a topic but not incrementing

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums! :)

To the best of my knowledge, the {chapnum} number that Flare calculates is based on the properties of TOC entries for which (1) a chapter break has been set and (2) the auto-number is explicitly set to a number or set to remain the same as the previous or set to increment.

Although you have two h1s that use {chapnum} in a single topic, it’s because they are in a single topic that is associated with a single TOC entry that there is only one chapter break coming into play.

The solution is to split that single topic into two topics and have each be on the TOC so that you can set a chapter break on each and control how you want the auto-number to be calculated.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
AngieP
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by AngieP »

Hi Nita,
Thank you so much for your reply. I suspected that may be the case but was unsure.
If I do want to have multiple H1s in a single topic with number increments is there another autoformat I can use besides {chapnum}. I guess I'm asking if there's any other way to have multiple H1s incrementing in a single topic with my current setup?
Thank you.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Try using {n+} instead of {chapnum}. I’ve never tried that, though, so can’t predict the results, and I’d be on the lookout for unintended consequences. But it might work out just fine. The incrementing within a single topic will likely work as you’re hoping. I just don’t know how this’ll work with chapter breaks. Because you have “CH” in the definition of the auto-number, I’d suspect that the number will reset to 1 with each chapter break and that the setting in the TOC properties about how to calculate the chapter number might not work at all because, AFAIK, that setting is for {chapnum}.

Let us know what ends up working for you. I, for one, like learning new tricks.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Why do you want to have more than one H1 in a single topic?
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
AngieP
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by AngieP »

Mostly we don't have topics with more than one H1, but there may be scenarios where this may occur and I'm trying to work out if it's possible to do and if so, how to do the autonumbering.