How to Force Page Break in Table

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
rhetoric101
Propeller Head

How to Force Page Break in Table

Post by rhetoric101 »

I'm going directly to PDF with my Flare project, and I'm not having any luck splitting my multi-page tables where I want with the inline style "page-break-before." I can't seem to force page breaks anywhere in tables. I saw lots of posts about various break issues in tables but didn't see any how how to force a simple break. You'll see below that I've even inserted "page-break-before" on all the elements for the row on which I want a break, and still no luck:

Code: Select all

<tr style="page-break-before: always;">
                        <th style="page-break-before: always;" colspan="2" class="Tablehead">
                            <p class="Tablehead" style="page-break-before: always;">JBoss 4.x and 5.x</p>
                        </th>
                    </tr>
What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Rob
3lliot
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: How to Force Page Break in Table

Post by 3lliot »

Bump - I'd like to know how to do this too...
johnnygreen
Propeller Head

Post by johnnygreen »

I see there was no answer to this. Maybe there isn't one? I'm using Flare 10 and can't manage it.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Just a wild guess, but have you set your table to always keep together (page-break-inside:avoid;)? I have no idea whether that would make the table behave as you describe, but might be worth checking, just in case.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ajturnersurrey »

My table style which happily allows tables to break across pages as needed has the following elements set:

page-break-after: avoid;
	page-break-before: avoid;
	page-break-inside: auto;
which ensures the tables is with text that introduces it and with the figure caption that follows it.

Where my table style which insists everything is kept together (including the figure caption which follows it) has just these two set:

page-break-inside: avoid;
	page-break-after: avoid;
In both cases I use table styles. In my experience getting your table set up just right is such a fiddly thing, that I wouldn't begin define this inline, because I want to reuse what works for me from then on in every new job I do!
tawnip
Propeller Head

Post by tawnip »

HI,

Use the table.css to create a Row Style with your Print Options set to the correct Page Break you desire. Set your table to use that Table Style and select the Row Style to the Row Style you just created. I have Row Styles like BreakAfter, BreakBefore, BreakBoth, and BreakNone.

Good luck,
Tawni